Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cold problem

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
like a dummy i forgot to plug my truck in last night. got down in the low teens last night. truck wouldnt start this morning. pluged it in all day come home around 7pm tried to start it and wont. what happened?

blacksnapon

Staff member
How fast was it cranking after it was plugged in all day? Does the glow plug light come on........and how long is it on?

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
it will crank and start but only run for like 2 seconds and shut off. the light comes on and is on for like 15-20 seconds

Fellro

Staff member
Have to ask... what fuel are you running? If it is #2, you may be gelled up. If it is winter blend, it should be ok. I have even seen winter blend gel when it gets colder than normal for the area.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is the oil reservoir full on top? Pull the small plug on the top, it should be only 1" from the top (no less).

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
where is the oil reservoir at on the motor? the place i have been buying uel from said they have winter mix

blacksnapon

Staff member
The panel on top that says powerstroke, remove it. The square looking box on the top front of the engine is the reservoir. Theres a small plug on top. You might have to use a small piece of wire to use as a "dipstick" to see how full it is.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
no gel in the fuel filter area. the oil in the reservoir area is full.

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
well i got it started. it took some cranking but it finally started after i cycled it a coupel of times. then it took a long time for it to get up to running temp. but it is running fien now. we will see if it starts in the morning. but atleast i pluged it in tonight. thanks for all the help it is much appreciated

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
no gel in the fuel filter area. the oil in the reservoir area is full.

Make sure you put anti gel in the tank. I've had trucks out in the cold all day and the tank gels, but fuel in the bowl won't be gel'd because of the fuel bowl heater. Pluging the truck in won't help the gel issue so I always recomend the anti-gel additive.

Just remember that when the "wait to start" light goes out, it does NOT mean that your glow plugs are warm enough... try leaving it "key ON" a full 30 seconds before you crank it when it's that cold out. also the powerstroke 7.3 in these ford trucks is also notorious for being able to crank and not start, due to a Battery Voltage Condition that drops below 11 volts... and while it's cranking, it can! ESPECIALLY in cold weather (higher demand on the starter, glow plugs etc) If your batteries are getting more than a couple years old, they may need replacing. A couple of good 1000 CCA batteries will make you feel like the engine is new again.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts