Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle

Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle

In new analysis from the Mackinac Center, James Hohman revealed that $3 billion in federal and state funding for the “smoking” GM Chevy Volt is costing taxpayers $250,000 per car.

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

“It just goes to show there are certain folks that will spend anything to get their vision of what people should do,” said State Representative Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills. “It’s a glaring example of the failure of central planning trying to force citizens to purchase something they may not want. … They should let the free market make those decisions.”

“This might be the most government-supported car since the Trabant,” said Hohman, referring to the car produced by the former Communist state of East Germany.

According to GM CEO Dan Akerson, the average Volt owner makes $170,000 per year.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I will refrain from comment as our resident pro-GM advocate will find some some way to defend or justify anything that wonderful company does.

'hiding_smilie' smilietease :p

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I will refrain from comment as our resident pro-GM advocate will find some some way to defend or justify anything that wonderful company does.

'hiding_smilie' smilietease :p
Nah- you missunderstand Duncan. There's GM the Corporation, and there's the individual Divisions. The divisions are run and manned by genuine car people. Car's like the CTS-V or the Corvette wouldn't exist without some hardcore enthusiasts and some mad engineering skillz. The GMT-900's (pickups) and the big SUV's are thoughtful products that hit their market's effectively. The Cruze and the Regal are segment leaders. Ok, enough of that.

Then there's the goofy crap Corporate does. Like the Volt. Honestly, if that's the answer, what was the question?

**On edit, maybe giving the car to the Chinese wasn't such a bad idea after all. :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't name names...howcome you posted the response....:p :rofl:

Fellro

Staff member
Heard a customer talking about one that someone he knew has. It gets 30 miles on a charge in the warmer weather, about 25 in the colder weather. Not feasible for someone like me at all, maybe for an in town commuter only.

I am not totally against a little assistance to get something going that is a good direction to attempt, as the market will kill things sometimes that are new and different than the conventional thinking due to the research (think overhead before production) involved to get going. However, the trick is in determining what is a good direction, and how much help they should get. That is why many times the research is done by colleges and such, and not by private industry.

GOV'T MOTORS CEO ASKED TO TESTIFY AT VOLT HEARING

The hearing is titled "Volt Vehicle Fire: What did NHTSA know and when did they know it?"
GM, which received a $49.5 billion government bailout, is still 26 percent owned by the Treasury Department.

Republicans have asked GM and the Obama administration to answer detailed questions about why they didn't disclose the fire in a crash-tested Volt for several months, and whether politics was behind any decision to delay the disclosure.

A spokesman for Issa, Ali Ahmad, said Friday the committee would demand that NHTSA turn over records.

"NHTSA has stalled on responding to the committee's inquiry for six weeks and inexplicably refused to provide any documents. The committee expects full compliance with its request and will consider compulsory methods if NHTSA does not immediately change its position," Ahmad said.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
This GM fiasco is never, ever, ever going to end.
They are going to keep ****ing us in the ear until the end of time.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I am not totally against a little assistance to get something going that is a good direction to attempt, as the market will kill things sometimes that are new and different than the conventional thinking due to the research (think overhead before production) involved to get going. However, the trick is in determining what is a good direction, and how much help they should get. That is why many times the research is done by colleges and such, and not by private industry.

I would prefer to see incentive in the form of a reward for ingenuity for accomplishing a certain goal, rather than taxpayer assistance. I hate financing failure.

Some Chevy dealers spurn Volt allocation

DETROIT -- Some Chevrolet dealers are turning down Volts that General Motors wants to ship to them, a potential stumbling block as GM looks to accelerate sales of the plug-in hybrid.

For example, consider the New York City market. Last month, GM allocated 104 Volts to 14 dealerships in the area, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Dealers took just 31 of them, the lowest take rate for any Chevy model in that market last month. That group of dealers ordered more than 90 percent of the other vehicles they were eligible to take, the source said.

In Clovis, Calif., meanwhile, Brett Hedrick, dealer principal at Hedrick's Chevrolet, sold 10 Volts last year. But in December and January he turned down all six Volts allocated to him under GM's "turn-and-earn" system, which distributes vehicles based on past sales volumes and inventory levels.

GM's "thinking we need six more Volts is just crazy," Hedrick says. "We've never sold more than two in a month." Hedrick says he usually takes just about every vehicle that GM allocates to him.

Fellro

Staff member
I noticed that the local GM dealer has 2, one outside, one in the showroom. Be interesting to see if they actually sell.... If what the customer I mentioned before is accurate, that means it would take a full charge to get to the two major towns nearby, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. You would just barely make it cold, and have little to spare when temps are warmer. Doesn't seem like a good selling item out here away from the cities....

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Welp, I think I figured out part of the problem. From Goose's link:

The Fiat 500, Fiat’s small car that was a cornerstone of the 2009 deal to bail out the failed automaker, was named the sixth worst flop of 2011. Fiat’s ability to make small, super-fuel-efficient cars was a driving factor in the administration’s decision to circumvent the normal bankruptcy process and engineer a government-led bailout of the failed Chrysler corporation.

“This year, Fiat released its new 500 -- a three-door car that is under 12 ft. long. The car was expected to be a big seller, rivaling BMW’s Mini. Even before the car’s launch, however, detractors were predicting failure,” Yahoo reported.

WHY does any one want to drive a coal powered car

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
GM Volt sales drop. Only 603 sold in January

GM sold just 603 Volts - above its sales in January 2011, but far below GM's best-ever sales month in December, when GM sold 1,529 Volts.

GM sold about 7,700 in 2011, below GM's target of 10,000. GM abandoned its sales target of 45,000 for 2012 last month, saying it would match "supply to demand."

Last week, GM North America President Mark Reuss said sales of the Volt have been hurt by bad publicity.

Reuss said bad publicity from the government's investigation into fire risks of post-crash Volts is "definitely a component" of the decline in sales.

Aaaaaand just to get your juices flowing (Duncan):

New Chevy Volt Ad:“This Isn’t the Car We Wanted to Build, It’s the Car We Had to Build” …(Yeah you did, if ya want more .gov funding)

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I didn't name names...howcome you posted the response....:p :rofl:

For the sake of the conversation, aside from the company itself what is wrong with their products? They've been proven reliable in the real world and they're competitively priced with their competition among other things...

Now I'm not defending or promoting GM, I only have one on my property and it falls into the age bracket where brand is blurred, I'm just curious as to what you find wrong with the product itself...

smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
For the sake of the conversation, aside from the company itself what is wrong with their products? They've been proven reliable in the real world and they're competitively priced with their competition among other things...

Now I'm not defending or promoting GM, I only have one on my property and it falls into the age bracket where brand is blurred, I'm just curious as to what you find wrong with the product itself...

smilieFordlogo

As far as the product goes I really have no personal experience with them in the past 20 years as I have not owned one since the early/mid eighties.
At that point I had no real problems with the ones I owned.
Please elaborate where you find this reliabilty in the real world.
I know for a fact (from seeing with my own two eyes) that in the oil, gas, mining etc. you see very few GM products (trucks) as they don't hold up.
Now, anyone can feel free to argue this....but until the person argueing comes out here and sees for themselves, they shouldn't comment.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I see plenty of them around here, Idaho Power uses them for their service trucks as does Century Link (formerly Qwest). LEO's used to use GM before the Caprice platform was phased out. Then there's that engine series you love so much, the LS Series, its to GM what the Windsor was to FMC for many years. The Tahoe/Suburban isn't on top of the SUV market by a fluke just like the F150 being the top selling p/u for 35+ years...

That's just a small portion, like I said I'm not defending the company itself because I disagree with their business practice but their products themselves have been shown to do well where they're intended to.

As to not seeing them up in the Northern oil and gas fields, I still believe FMC builds a superior heavy duty 3/4 and 1 ton truck and that's being proven up there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts