Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear end ID

I have a 1946 Ford Pick-up that has a rear end that is not stock. I foud this out when I took off the tires in the rear and found 5 on 41/2 bolt patern. I need to find out what rear end I have, it has a raised area on the left/driver side of the back of the pumpin and is a front load, it has a number cast into the front housing 513261 and it has 77 cast in the upper left and a large 13 with a small 3 on center left. if anyone can tell me what rear end I have and year it would mean a lot to me as I,m trying to rebuild it. I also need a gas tank as the one in my truck is rusted out, if anyone can tell me where I can find one I would be greatfull. Thanks.

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Adam,
You may have to post a picture. There have been several axles using the 5 on 4.5" pattern over the years.

I figure you've looked, but you might find a tag under one of the bolts holding the center chunk in place.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Does the rear axle have an inspecion cover? If it does not, it could be a 9" from a 1980/83 F100.

Some of these F100's came with a 9" rear axle with 5 lug, 4.50" bolt circle wheels. Some came with a 9" that has the usual 5 lug, 5.50" bolt pattern.

The rear axle could also be from a passenger car, and it could be a 9" or an 8" (which looks similar to a 9"), that was only used in certain passenger cars.

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Might be a Yota Rear end....they used the 5/4.5 bolt pattern i believe and was a front loader....probely about the same width as a 46 Ford as well...

Ford Truck Articles