Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Custom Exhaust Time! Need some help

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
I've been thinking about it for over a year and decided its time. Before I go through with it I have some questions for you guys. I have decided to use one of Flowmaster's universal 3" pipe kits to start off. I am doing a single out system and will be using a Super 40 Muffler. I want to use these mid-length Hedman headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-89510/overview/year/1997/make/ford/model/f-250

So questions:

Are these an alright choice in headers?

Should I bother with a high flow catalytic converter or just pipe it? My truck with its age is not subject to emissions testing another than a tailpipe test. No smoke, you pass.

What kind of downpipe should I look at? Will I need to cut one or are they somewhat universal and a matter of fit?

I have no real resources or experience with the header end of things, should I have those put on first, then do the rest myself? (I want to do as much as I can myself)

What are those heavy duty bolts that are suggested for headers? I remember Duncan mentioning them in a thread that I cannot seem to locate.

Can I use my factory hangars?

Thank you all so much, if I could sponsor a keg party for you all, I would YelloThumbUp

Last edited:

primetime

sawmill slave
Those headers aren't bad. They also aren't $1200 like the Banks. I would recommend stepping up to the coated version though. Mine are two years old and have just under 20,000 miles on them, and look pretty rough.

The bolts you are thinking of are called Stage 8. Summit has them. Find yourself some Remflex gaskets also. Or just use some red silicone like I ended up doing. Haven't leaked since. Get yourself a THE-14150 starter wrap from Summit. Unless you like changeing starters. I've put two in my truck, the new one I just put in got wrapped. I've used it before and it works well.

As for changeing the headers, you may want someone else to do it. The bolts for the manifolds will most likely be a real bear. Start spraying them with PB or Kroil NOW, and don't waste your time with WD-40. Spray the EGR tube also, and be prepared to replace that. When you have your parts, start takeing out bolts. When the first one breaks, put it back together, and take it to someone.

If you think it will pass emissions without the cat I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not following you on your down pipe question, when someone says down pipe, I think turbo charger.

I wouldn't bother with the Flowmaster universal kit. If I'm looking at the same one, it's for dual exhaust, so you will end up with a bunch of extra pipe, and its about 300 bones. Get yourself a Magnaflow #15003, or a Maremont #30001 tailpipe, they are about $60. Now get your Super 40. Hang the tail pipe, slip the muffler on, measure for how much pipe you need to go between the Hedman y-pipe, which is 3" also, and the muffler, run down to the local muffler shop for a hunk of 3" pipe, clamp it all together, and you are done. Now, Summit lists that Magnaflow pipe as being a GM pipe, but there is a 43 page thread on Full size Bronco called "3" Mandrel bent tailpipe, CHEAP", that covers both of those tailpipes, check it out.

Sounds like a big pain in the butt, doesn't it? Its well worth it as far as I'm concerned. My truck knocks down 10 mpg pretty regualarly with the exhaust and electric fans, and I have a C-6. And it sounds awesome.

460Trucker

Those headers aren't bad. They also aren't $1200 like the Banks. I would recommend stepping up to the coated version though. Mine are two years old and have just under 20,000 miles on them, and look pretty rough.

The bolts you are thinking of are called Stage 8. Summit has them. Find yourself some Remflex gaskets also. Or just use some red silicone like I ended up doing. Haven't leaked since. Get yourself a THE-14150 starter wrap from Summit. Unless you like changeing starters. I've put two in my truck, the new one I just put in got wrapped. I've used it before and it works well.

As for changeing the headers, you may want someone else to do it. The bolts for the manifolds will most likely be a real bear. Start spraying them with PB or Kroil NOW, and don't waste your time with WD-40. Spray the EGR tube also, and be prepared to replace that. When you have your parts, start takeing out bolts. When the first one breaks, put it back together, and take it to someone.

If you think it will pass emissions without the cat I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not following you on your down pipe question, when someone says down pipe, I think turbo charger.

I wouldn't bother with the Flowmaster universal kit. If I'm looking at the same one, it's for dual exhaust, so you will end up with a bunch of extra pipe, and its about 300 bones. Get yourself a Magnaflow #15003, or a Maremont #30001 tailpipe, they are about $60. Now get your Super 40. Hang the tail pipe, slip the muffler on, measure for how much pipe you need to go between the Hedman y-pipe, which is 3" also, and the muffler, run down to the local muffler shop for a hunk of 3" pipe, clamp it all together, and you are done. Now, Summit lists that Magnaflow pipe as being a GM pipe, but there is a 43 page thread on Full size Bronco called "3" Mandrel bent tailpipe, CHEAP", that covers both of those tailpipes, check it out.

Sounds like a big pain in the butt, doesn't it? Its well worth it as far as I'm concerned. My truck knocks down 10 mpg pretty regualarly with the exhaust and electric fans, and I have a C-6. And it sounds awesome.

The magnaflow pipe will fit a standard cab, longbed? I would imagine it would fit into the stock hangars.
I have a 4ft section of 3 inch flowmaster pipe already so I can check that off the list. I will also check out that article.
When I said downpipe I meant the connection of headers to the y pipe. Are the headers I am looking at long enough to combine with a Y-pipe or will they run together eliminating that need for a y pipe? In which case I will clamp on a pipe leading to the inlet on the Super 40.

Great information here. Thank you so much!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I would suggest Pypes brand mufflers, IMO they sound better.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
x2 on Pypes, ran a pair of violators on my GT and loved them.

Double check that your inspection does not test for hydrocarbons or NOX gases, without functioning cats you will not have a chance of getting a pass.

(I know a lot about gasses... not at all thanks to my public school education. I'm a certified inspector, most states follow the same outlines.)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Given how you look after that truck Mike, I agree with Justin about getting ceramic coated headers and you might want to consider stainless piping.

460Trucker

I would suggest Pypes brand mufflers, IMO they sound better.

I'm pretty set on the sound of a super 40 after hearing them on another 460, but I will look into them. Thanks for the tip (exhaust pun :D)

I've always got to modify headers for our rhd so no help, but like Justin said, start spraying the header bolts now. I broke some in an earlier 460 truck once, and was a prick to get em out!

Will do! I like the new picture btw smilieFordlogo

x2 on Pypes, ran a pair of violators on my GT and loved them.

Double check that your inspection does not test for hydrocarbons or NOX gases, without functioning cats you will not have a chance of getting a pass.

(I know a lot about gasses... not at all thanks to my public school education. I'm a certified inspector, most states follow the same outlines.)

The tailpipe test is the only thing I can find. Is there anyway you would have a resource that would give the testing information for Massachusetts?

Given how you look after that truck Mike, I agree with Justin about getting ceramic coated headers and you might want to consider stainless piping.

Although they are a bit pricier, they do seem like a good option. I will look into other manufacturers. Any recommendations? Due to pricing, Banks is out of the question, I'm not spending over a grand just for the headers when you can get those same headers in one of their kits for less.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't Mike...sorry, it's been years since I have bought headers....but the coating is well worth it no matter what the brand for longevity as are the stainless pipes...esp. when you look at the big picture in cost and time.

460Trucker

A lot of people don't like flowmaster but if you like that sound you won't be happy with anything else. I love flowmasters.

I've always liked the more drone-type rumble that they're products make.

460Trucker

primetime

sawmill slave
Ok Mike, I'm feeling ya. What you are calling the down pipe is actually the y-pipe . It's included with the headers you posted. It connects with the header collectors and then merges into a 3" pipe. Hedman supplies an extension to go from that into the cat. At least they did with my headers.

And I'm with Duncan on the stainless pipe. That Magnaflow tailpipe I posted is stainless. It doesn't have hangers on it though, so buy some of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hvh13s/overview/ They will slip into your factory rubbers and then clamp onto the pipe. You can also get Flowmaster mufflers in stainless now. Summit also sells stainless clamps and pipe.

If you opt for ceramic Hedmans you may want to check on if the y-pipe gets coated also as part of the deal.

460Trucker

I have some of those hangars that came with the cat-back flowmaster system I have on the truck now. Also have some wide band clamps. If I decide to save some bills and go with non-ceramic, is there an aftermarket product I could coat them with as a cheaper option?

About the y pipe though, that will bring me to the point where I can just attach the pipe to the muffler where the catalytic was right? No extra pipe to get it down to the right height?

primetime

sawmill slave
As far as coatings, it's ceramic or rusty steel. Or stainless. As for the y-pipe, yes, you will be able to get from that to the muffler. If it would help I can get you a couple pics of mine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
This is the flowmaster universal 3" kit, I used those headman headers, they come with a nice y pipe. I didnt use the y pipe. I cut the bells off and welded it to the 3" pipe and cut and welded it as needed, here are some pics, dual 3" no cats, flowmaster 10s, 3.5SS tips

460Trucker

As far as coatings, it's ceramic or rusty steel. Or stainless. As for the y-pipe, yes, you will be able to get from that to the muffler. If it would help I can get you a couple pics of mine.

Yes it would be if you wouldn't mine.

This is the flowmaster universal 3" kit, I used those headman headers, they come with a nice y pipe. I didnt use the y pipe. I cut the bells off and welded it to the 3" pipe and cut and welded it as needed, here are some pics, dual 3" no cats, flowmaster 10s, 3.5SS tips

Thanks for the pics! This is a good visual help. Nice system YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles