Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear suspension

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
on 80-96 half ton suspension is the spacer block beneath the springs and axle there to add height or is it there for safety reasons?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's to provide a stronger platform for the springs to it on. If the bare springs u-bolted right to the axle, it probably wouldn't last too long.

Unless you have an added block. Do you have a picture?

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
so the degree shim would be the for same reason? no i dont have a pic at this time but for sure will post it in a hour or two im doing my rims, just got done with my radiator hose and oil pan, fun i know.

PS i also seen the bronco restoration project in four wheeler magazine? and they had the block out just full 6 inch springs....????

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
degree shim sets the pinion angle, so that your u-joints are properly lined up

Fellro

Staff member
The block also has the extension off the side for the stopper rubber to touch on. It keeps the ride height better when loaded as well. The mounting straight to the axle isn't a big issue, as most leaf spring cars did. It is mostly for ride height.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
The block also has the extension off the side for the stopper rubber to touch on. It keeps the ride height better when loaded as well. The mounting straight to the axle isn't a big issue, as most leaf spring cars did. It is mostly for ride height.

oh i see. so mounting straight to the axle what would be the down side of it? and ups?

Fellro

Staff member
If you want to lower it, you would want to straight mount it, but if you want to keep the back up while towing, you use the blocks.. It is a way to keep from having an insane arch, and the springs last longer.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
If you want to lower it, you would want to straight mount it, but if you want to keep the back up while towing, you use the blocks.. It is a way to keep from having an insane arch, and the springs last longer.

yeah i'd like to lower it 2 inches which i think is the spacers height and just to level my truck out OR remove my body lift and add height to the front which sounds more durable to me even though i dont do any towing really at all

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
i got the picture of the spacer block in my gallery if any body has the patience to look much appreciated!

You can post your gallery pictures right in your thread by copying the "BB" code and pasting it in your thread:

rear_suspension_block.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts