Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Better Braking

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
My brakes are spongy right now so I'm thinkin I'll need to replace the Booster soon enough. My question is this is the booster for my truck.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Power-Brake-Booster-Cardone_18690168-P_250_R|GRPBRHYAMS_49922587___

Can I put a booster on there off of an F250 like this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Power-Brake-Booster-Cardone_18690679-P_250_R|GRPBRHYAMS_267829683___

or would it be a moot point? Wanting a little better braking ability but if it'd be stupid to throw a bigger booster on then to hell with it it'll get a stocker.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yup...new brakes front new brakes and hardware rear...stops pretty good...but you don't get any firmess until maybe an inch from where the pedal bottoms out and you can hear the air when you press the pedal. No it doesn't leak I never have to top it off.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I would suspect the M/C!!!
All the booster does is asist!!!
If it's bad it would feel like it does with the engine off!!!
Just hard to push!!!

radialarm

Clown of Death!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
A bad booster won't make the brakes feel spongy. Just like Robert said. Can you get a better pedal if you pump the brakes?

If you can hear air hissing it's gonna be the booster. My neighbors t-bird just went through the same thing.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you can hear air hissing it's gonna be the booster. My neighbors t-bird just went through the same thing.
smiliewhathesaid The booster is driven by vacuum so the hissing sound is the sound of the vacuum not having a good seal-- ie bad booster.

A couple of the UC4x4 guys have swapped in boosters from F250s or F350s (I can't remember which, perhaps they're the same) and they said there was a considerable difference in breaking power. Bolt in swap.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Well, the boosters between the 150 and 250 of the same years with the same engines look utterly different (IE the links). Nope, no better feel if I pump the brakes....I've bled em n bled em n bled em to no avail.....still spongy and you can hear the air.....

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I worked on a guys jeep the other day and he had a hydrolic brake booster off a chebby van on there and all you had to do was touch the brake pedal and you were damn near picking your teeth out of the steering wheel. It used the powersteering pump for power!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry I thought you meant "links" on the actual boosters. Those boosters look exactly the same except that the F250 one is bigger, as was the one that Rick swapped into his truck. The latter picture also showed a master cylinder attached to the booster, but that's not part of the booster. They have the same connections-- bolt on swap.

Ford Truck Articles