Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

89 to 86 swap

First thanks to Smokey for the help. Now that it's running right it's time for fun. My 89 F-350 4x4 460 auto is ROUGH!!! I have a complete rust free 86 F-250 parts truck that I'm starting the body swap. I'm going to do front clip, doors and bed. I know most want to upgrade their body style but I kinda like the old ones. If anyone has suggestions please feel free and I hope to post some pics soon

Fellro

Staff member
For the most part, it is a straight bolt swap. You do need to do the entire clip, as the rad support and such is different. The other issue that you will have to figure out is the front frame horns are a little different. The 89 tail lights can be put into the 86 box with a little modification, the reason to do so is they are a little brighter, but you give up the styling of the older ones. I'm with you though, I prefer the 86 over the 89.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Are you going to use the cab / doors off the 86?
There are some differences in the doors and cabs over the years.

I am going to swap doors but not cab. the cabs are mostly the same from 80 - heavy 97.
and before anyone gets excited I said mostly. I will change the cowl to the 86 style. It will retain the 89 dash and all fuel injection. also thought about either a 4 or 5 speed. I like the overdrive idea but I am a huge fan of the old granny lows

Fellro

Staff member
You may want to reconsider the cowl swap-unless it is about the looks. The newer cowls make it such that garbage doesn't get down in the cowl area. Many swap away from the bars. If you have tree leaves and such that get into there, it can cause the cab corners to rot out.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Doors are shaped different at the bottom back. They close different because of the shape of the newer seat belt retractor starting in 87. You can alter the 86 door to fit.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Be cautious with the 80-86 cowls. They look cooler but every time I turn my defroster on I get a face full of leaves from 2004 when I parked it under a tree once.

Fellro

Staff member
The only way I would add an 86 or older cowl is if there is some kind of screen under it somewhere.

Ford Truck Articles