Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The mighty little 302.

70blue

Georgia Chapter member
The 91 Chevy is not a Vortec... there's quite a bit of power difference. The Vortec was used from '96 to '98/'99.
Vortec is a total useless piece of junk. Instead of using a fuel rail it sprays fuel into the cylinder with plastic and rubber lines. Heat makes those things brittle until the supply line busts and dumps large amounts of fuel flooding your engine. The next thing you know you are replacing an expensive piece of rubber, replacing a ruined cat and draining gas out of your oil pan. You can have your Vortec.:puke:

FTF'er
Wow that is amazing an engine with 48 more cubes is stronger. Try that with a 305 to make things closer to equal. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I was responding to post #35. I know the 5.7 is bigger, which is why a 302 won't always win.

Here is what I was responding to...

ive seen stock 302's in mustangs and f150's n f100's stomp a mudhole in every vehicles *** ive ever seen with a stock chevy 305.......and id prolly put my money on a stock 302 over a stock 350 anyday....id like to see the 5.0 make a return but i seriously doubt it will but should the 5.0 and 5.8w ever make a return you can bet ill be the first person to have 1 of each its hard to beat a stock small block ford cubic inch for cubic inch...ya gotta love em

FTF'er
Vortec is a total useless piece of junk. Instead of using a fuel rail it sprays fuel into the cylinder with plastic and rubber lines. Heat makes those things brittle until the supply line busts and dumps large amounts of fuel flooding your engine. The next thing you know you are replacing an expensive piece of rubber, replacing a ruined cat and draining gas out of your oil pan. You can have your Vortec.:puke:

I've never heard of that problem. I have heard of some more common problems like the poppet valves sticking and cracked intakes, although I've never had any of these problems. I don't have cats anymore, so no worries there :wasntme:

The #1 thing I dislike about the Vortec is that the fuel system is not easily upgradeable, making things expensive if you wanna go faster (you would need a marine intake... big $$$). The fuel injected 302 fuel system is much easier and cheaper to upgrade, and more reliable also. And the GM fuel pumps suck too. :(

I still love my 302 a lot more than my 5.7 though.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
the 302 is a ground pounder by no means....but it holds its own.....and id still put my money on it over a stock 350

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
LT1's are afraid of the little 302!! camaros with their big 5.7 and foxbodies withtheir little 302 owning the street!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
yeah you can turn a 5.0 Fox in to a monster.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
shoot....them foxbodies make sum hellacious drag cars iv seen sum puttin down so many ponies n so much torque if it didnt hav wheelie bars its stand up n touch its taillights to the ground

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
iv seen sum puttin down so many ponies n so much torque if it didnt hav wheelie bars its stand up n touch its taillights to the ground

You do realize that has the potential to be gearing more than anything...hell, you could throw some 6.72's in 2L engine and pop it over a coke can...an exaggeration of course...but you get the point.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i wasnt specifically talking about the 302 in the last post it was directed to the foxbody mustang

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Same here...I even made reference to a 2L engine.

Not all Chevy 350's were made the same tho. ;)

Back in the 70's we had lots of Chevy pickups at work and one in particular
had -way more power- than all the rest. No kidding.

What I've always wanted to know was what was different about that one
that made the power it did! :/ Everybody that drove it talked about it and
wondered the same thing... What'd they do to it?

It pulled harder from the bottom and went faster than the rest, both!

How in the heck could that be?

All of the 350's at work had the Quadajet on 'em just like it did etc.

Heads?
Cam?
Compression?
All three?
What do you figure? :)

---------------------------

BTW those dangged Chevys were all the time breaking down and getting
towed in etc. :(

Hell, the air cleaner didn't even fit the housing and the AC/Delco air cleaner
number was on a label -right on the housing-. :/

There was a 3/16" to 1/4" gap -above- the air cleaner when it was all
squeezed down "tight". See it? :)

And it carried on like that for -at least two years- not just a friggin fluke.
No wonder the 350's were wornout in 65k miles huh? LOL :)
At 60k you'd be putting a quart of oil a day in them and Gelco would order
you a new one LOL :)

I bought a Ford because of my experience with the company trucks. LOL :)

Dangged Fords. ;) You'd have to drive them to 110k before Gelco would
change them out. That was like 3 to 3+1/2 years, a Chevy only 2 to 2+1/2.

Yep, bought a Ford because of my experience with the company trucks. :)

Alvin in AZ ...'75 F150 360FE T18 Traction Lok
...and it's never broke down and left me stranded -ever-! :)

Ford Truck Articles