Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mechanical issue(s)????

That would be the FIRST one I replaced on my old '82 F350

Fellro

Staff member
Good to hear you are getting things resolved, sorry I couldn't be of more help, way to busy lately....

I seem to recall seeing evap cannisters 'way back in the early 70's even. I know my 78 and 82 had em... and I THINK my old 72 merc montego wagon even had one.

Good to hear you are getting things resolved, sorry I couldn't be of more help, way to busy lately....

Thanks...I am glad to be making progress on it. And don't worry about it man, I know all about busy schedules, as I am very surprised I am even making any progess with the truck considering school and part time job on top of friends wanting this and that in between time!:headbang: We'll have to meet up sometime though whenever we can break away from our busy schedulesYelloThumbUp I am hoping there are events out there like there are for some of the older car groups, like maybe a Ford truck meet or something that the fellow board members here can attend...see I am just now getting familiarized with Ford, I have a '76 Buick Century and before I got my Ford truck, was a diehard classical car fan(still am, but I am not so narrow minded on what brand it is, as long as it's American!), mainly aiming for GM stuff. I still love my Buick, it's got a '70 350-2 pulled from a Skylark that runs pretty strong, but the trans. doesn't have first gear and it's starting to leak trans. fluid and it takes forever to click in to reverse, so sure as heck the trans. is prolly gonna go out sooner or later.:hammer: But ever since I have gotten my truck, i've fell in love with trucks and can't ever see myself without at least one Ford truck!YelloThumbUp (and you can never have too many!!! :shocked: )

Fellro

Staff member
As it so happens, I also do GM cars as well, might even have a spare trans around, but if it is a TH 350, they are easy to go through. (pan looks like a square with one corner cut off) I will be back down that way next Friday evening, actually in Keokuk proper to Hamilton.

I will be back down that way next Friday evening, actually in Keokuk proper to Hamilton.

That's cool, we might have to meet up then just as long as work doesn't schedule me right after school.:headbang: I haven't checked the schedule yet but I will though! Well I did get the frame welded yesterday morning, and got it done by a buddy that finally got some time off and was willing to do it for free, but I gave him 50 dollars since all the other places wanted 200, that's the least I could do.:beer: And his uncle was with him and took my to a shed out back of the shop it got welded at and gave me a set of 18 inch wheels(I believe) that have 31 inch liberator tires on it, and that solved the shaking problem, I guess I must have had broken belts or somethin in my other tires.:hammer: Oh well, glad I got all that fixed. Ignition and gas leak fixed as well! But now the only problem is I drove it around prolly couple hundred miles just cruising in it to get a good feel for it now that it has some bigger tires on it but now I think it has a fuel related problem now, because it's hard to start and sometimes when we jump it, it takes so long to start it and so many times to turn over. It acts like it want's to kick over and start but it's just not doing it, and then if it does start and run good, it won't for long, because when I start driving it, I can push the pedal down all the way to the floor and it just doesn't go and sometimes it dies when I do that and then it's hard to start again.:guns: Dang it, everytime I fix something, something else goes wrong.[confused] But it probably didn't have an easy life before I got it beings that it was used in a junkyard and before that a farmer had it......so more than likely it was used to work and now that it has over 140k miles on it, it's starting to show.:spank:

Fellro

Staff member
Did you ever get the plugs/wires/cap/rotor replaced? That can definitely be part of the problem.

Did you ever get the plugs/wires/cap/rotor replaced? That can definitely be part of the problem.

It's getting a tune-up for sure, and the fuel filter is getting replaced as well. Probably will change the fuel filter first, and if all else fails, the tune-up needs done anyhow!

Well changed the fuel filter, ran good for a little bit then started acting up again just like it did yesterday. I disconnected the fuel line, though, and it's barely pumping any fuel out, and it takes forever to crank any out when turning it over with the key:guns: Must be a fuel pump, thinking the one in the rear tank.

doesn't yours have the midship pump? if it was just one of the tank pumps it would run well on one tank, and not the other.

doesn't yours have the midship pump? if it was just one of the tank pumps it would run well on one tank, and not the other.

It does but the only problem is, is that the front tank leaks bad in 3 spots, therefore it has been disconnected and plugged, no longer used, and now I just use the rear gas tank. According to the mechanics who have been performing all this work all along, say that they are pretty sure it's the rear tank pump, but if they find out that it is the frame mounted pump then they need to replace it instead. All I know is when I disconnected the line, one of the pumps are not working too great as there is not even enough gas to keep it running.

Still, if you disconnect the line FROM the rear tank you can see if it's delivering well. The only reason I dissent from the mechanics is I have HAD 2 of those midship pumps go bad, but not the supply pump from the tank. and replacing the framerail pump is SOooooo much easier, lol...

Still, if you disconnect the line FROM the rear tank you can see if it's delivering well. The only reason I dissent from the mechanics is I have HAD 2 of those midship pumps go bad, but not the supply pump from the tank. and replacing the framerail pump is SOooooo much easier, lol...

Yeah I here ya on that man! I've seen for myself which one would be easier, but the one mounted on the frame is a bit more pricer, but hey, doesn't matter as long as we can find the one that isn't pumping, right!? Well, it is going back to the shop tomorrow though and I am making them do a bumper to bumper check of everything they can think of so this time, hopefully, it won't be needing much done other than the tune-up after one of the pumps are changed. Keep yalls fingers crossed!YelloThumbUp

Well finally got it fixed, and you were right(mrfixit), it was not the one in the rear tank, because we checked the mid-frame pump w/ a pressure guage and it was reading very low, and hardly any gas came out of the line. So took the old one off, bought a new one, slapped it on, hooked all the wiring back up and runs better than before, I guess there were signs of the pump going bad that I didn't recognize so well at the time. Such as, when i'd floor the truck it would stumble terribly, now I can floor it and it does not hesitate one bit.YelloThumbUp Thanks guys! Back on the road again...:nana:

Yeah, those pumps should reach their full pressure within just a couple of seconds after "key on", too. Glad you got it fixed!!!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
good job. glad to hear you got 'er movin now.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles