Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

differentiating keys

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've assumed...custodianship, I guess, of my sister's car for the next couple years while she pursues a Master's Degree.

Meaning I've now got two "identical" (but not interchangable) keys in my pocket- any tips on how to mark one so I can tell 'em apart quickly and easily? Preferably a tactile marking rather than just visual (e.g. paint) so I can tell them apart in the dark too...

This style Ford key:
B0B63030-BA85-43D4-B55F-5E8823DE767D_zpsgxcfr8nn.jpg

*I'd really prefer to keep them on one key ring- I've already got my work keys on their own ring, and I'm not smart enough to keep track of that many different sets of keys!

Anyway- here's the car...many years and miles ago (taken just before I drove it to the Pacific). I'm not sure which of us has aged better...but at that range, I think it looks closer to the same than I do (though I still wear those boots, and that t-shirt just hit the rag-bag a few weeks ago, so...).

IMG_1065.jpg

Dad bought it new, passed it to her a year or so ago. We all really like the thing- aside from those blingin' wheels, the only option on the sticker was a chrome exhaust tip. Stick shift, crank windows...it's a terrific car! 'Course, by my standards, there was no such thing as a "stripper" version of these- it's got A/C and a CD player fer cryin' out loud!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dunk one of the key heads in textured bedliner...then you'll be able to feel the difference. And shouldn't have to worry about it wearing off any time soon.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ive used VHS cassette labels (yes i know im showing my age there) before to wrap key heads to quickly tell differences between them in poorly lit areas... same can be done with masking tape.. quick, easy and cheap to do.. ntm easy to clean up when returning it back to her.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's been a few years since I had spare VHS labels kicking around...might have to try the masking tape idea. (I'd do bedliner, but I don't have any around the house...)

Thanks!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I seem to recall reading something in the owners manual about possible no-start problems when two or more PATS keys are withing range of the transponder (ie, same keychain). This would of course, make sense, since the PATS system in the vehicle can't tell which key is in the ignition and thus may not attempt a "handshake" with the correct one for that vehicle. Might want to check that one. And......is that key in the pic one that came with the vehicle or aftermarket? And if it's aftermarket, is the vendor Stratec (ie, OEM minus the Ford blue oval actually being a blue jewel attached to the key)?

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
no problem ian.. Id suggest electrical tape but that can get sticky over time as the glue on it melts in the heat.. and can be annoying to clean off later...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I seem to recall reading something in the owners manual about possible no-start problems when two PATS keys are withing range of the transponder (ie, same keychain). Might want to check that one. And......is that key in the pic one that came with the vehicle or aftermarket? And if it's aftermarket, is the vendor Stratec (ie, OEM minus the bule oval actually being a blue jewel)?

key shown in the pic is like my trucks key.. no pats chips.. the heads are usually fatter when chipped..

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Regardless, in the past when I've had more than one vehicle with keys that look the same, I've taken a round file and added a small, semi-circular notch to the large head of the key. Easy to differentiate keys in daylight and darkness.

*Me can't determine thinkness of key from the pic, looks exactly like the spare PATS key I bought 12 years ago.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've got two OEM keys with PATS for each rig...if it wasn't PATS, I'd just get an aftermarket one cut that was a different shaped head.

Be curious to see if it causes any issues with starting with the two of 'em. I hope not, but if it does, I guess I'll have to come up with an alternate plan.

Thanks!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
FYI, the brand of key you purchase IS important as far as reliable starting goes. It's been proven moire than once by unlucky souls. Always remember, just because replacement PATS keys can be found for cheap online doesn't mean it's a good deal.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I wasnt referring to the thickness of the key. Was more referring to the width of the key when i was saying it was fatter. The first PATS had the chips imbedded into the stem of the key that actually went into the ignitions. The next style had it embedded into the plastic covers on the ends of the keys making them wider/fatter. Both of these styles used low voltage transmitted current filtered through the key and read by the switch on the return

The ones i always heard having problems with the multiple security keys in close proximity were the ones that were that constantly transmitted their RFID directly to a receiver. Much like the keyfobs do for the door locks. These keys are usually the type that have push button starts. Dads ran into the problem with his vet a couple times on trips. Mom would have the spare in her purse and dads in his pocket. When both were in the car near each other the computer threw a fit. Dad ended up having to put his in the door pocket and mom had to put her purse in the back. The distance seemed to solve the issue when it oddly shouldnt have since the transmitters built into the keyfobs.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsjzgm5k6w.jpeg

Pats key on the left ford used with the gassers... Non pats key on the right ford used for their diesels...

2012-01-27_005338_1.jpg

same with this style.. Pats on the left the chip was mounted horizontally directly under the key ring.. Non pats on the right..

vats.jpg

Gen 1 Embedded chips used by most GM's and many foreign vehicles fir the 1st gen Pats...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I have several pats keys on one ring. Never had a problem with not starting. They make rubber toppers for the keys not really sure what they are really called.

i call them doohickeys.. or chick rings...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Totally different Ford keys, with very significant visual dimensional differences, in the above pics. The GM key is in fact NOT a key for a PATS system but rather, that's a resistor on the key. There were 10 or 12 possibilities of resistance value, it took the right one to work, a deterrent to theft. A crude but decent early attempt to make theft more difficult.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
may be a resistor.. but GM still labels it as a PATS key.. PATS just stands for Passive Anti-Theft System.. so even by your own words as it being an early deterrent to theft its based on the same principles. the newer systems just go at it in different ways..

Ford Truck Articles