Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

76 F100 Exhaust

Hi All,

I am looking to redo my exhaust system on my truck. It is a 1976 Ford F100 Short-bed with a 5.0L 302 engine. The stock manifolds are in and fine and they will be taken out and restored. My issue is concerning the rest of the system. LMC sells a full duel exhaust system for 73-76 F100 but for a 360 engine, and of course they have no technical knowledge of why they would not work other than "they just will not work". Will I be able to use this duel exhaust system with my stock manifolds and 302 engine or what modifications would I have to make to make them work? My current system is a rear exit with what look like turbo mufflers on them. Thanks.

It's likely that if it's a full system then it also includes the headers, which may be different on a 360 than a 302. Any other differences might be the diameter of the piping as a 360 would move more air than a 302, though I could be wrong.

If you’re sticking with the stock headers, then you could go the aftermarket route or just have a good shop build you a custom exhaust system from the headers back. Then just decide if you want to go true dual with no crossover pipe, an x-pipe, or an h-pipe.

I hope this helps and if I'm mistaken, than I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will step in and straighten things out.

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
They make an "off road" 302 setup for 77-79. I wonder why that wouldn't also work for the 76?

Those systems are designed for the long wheel base trucks and would need to be cut down for your short bed.

What I don't like about the bolt on system is that the joints would not be welded so you would have to take it somewhere to get that done.

What's nice about a custom setup is you can have it done stock or however you want and it's all welded without any unnecessary joints in the pipes.

Just my .02

Ford Truck Articles