Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351m or 400 question?

i have a 79 f150 4wd has a 400 in it that has rattling mains, i also have a 351m that is a good motor, took it out of this truck recently, truck needs a clutch so im pulling motor to change clutch, question is should i put back the known good 351m, or can i use the rod and main bearings from 351 in the 400?

i have a 79 f150 4wd has a 400 in it that has rattling mains, i also have a 351m that is a good motor, took it out of this truck recently, truck needs a clutch so im pulling motor to change clutch, question is should i put back the known good 351m, or can i use the rod and main bearings from 351 in the 400?

The bearings will fit, assuming the journals have not been ground. If you did swap bearings, they would be shot in another 1000 miles, due to the fact that used bearings have already seated on different journals. Definitely a big no-no. Swap the 351M back in or rebuild the 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My '78 ford F250 has a seized distributor. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?

Soak it with penetrating oil every time you pass by for a few days and work it with a pipe wrench after a few days. Apply heat to the block as you're working the pipe wrench. Work the dizzy with an off the shelf super cooler at the same time. Give the dizzy shaft a smack with a dead blow intermittently.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
If your short on time...heat the block,this will help disolve the built up tarnish on the shaft..then use a slide hammer to pull it out...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts