Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 Engine Noise

Well, I finally got my old 1977 F-150 running again. There were some leaves and such in the carb from sitting. When it's running it sounds like its knocking or something like that.. but I'm thinking it's just the rocker's or something? Do those need to be adjusted sometimes or anything?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If they're stock, no. How did you determine it was the top end and is it more of a knock, tap or chatter? If it is in fact the top end and a knock, my money says a bad valve.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
When it's running it sounds like its knocking or something like that..

Open the hood and let your sister's cat out. That should fix the knock.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just found something very odd aboout my 400 today. It has two engine oil dipsticks! One on the passenger side, and the other on the drivers side. Why? lol!

Hmmm...possible you have a 400 out of a car. Is the PS hole plugged at the oil pan or do you still have a full functioning dip stick?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's a full functioning dip stick.

Interesting...wonder why someone would do that. The car dipsticks came out the front anyway. Does it look like a PO drilled and tapped it?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I guess he wanted to be very sure the oil was always topped off.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Sounds like it is a 400 out of a car, but with a truck oil pan. The 400 in my scout came out of a Lincoln. It has the dipstick that goes in the front of the engine for the car oil pan (front sump). The truck oil pan (rear sump) has a dipstick that goes directly into the pan.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like it is a 400 out of a car, but with a truck oil pan. The 400 in my scout came out of a Lincoln. It has the dipstick that goes in the front of the engine for the car oil pan (front sump). The truck oil pan (rear sump) has a dipstick that goes directly into the pan.

That's what I was thinking too, but then he said it came out of both SIDES.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How much oil pressure do the 400's usually have?

Depends...they've been known to run as low as 5psi at hot idle (the old 351M I had ran at 7psi at idle). Red has 65psi at start up but usually settles somewhere around 32psi hot idle. This is running Shell Rotella 15w40. From hot idle, rule of thumb is an increase of 10psi per 1000rpm. A bandaid to raise psi is run 50w.

Depends...they've been known to run as low as 5psi at hot idle (the old 351M I had ran at 7psi at idle). Red has 65psi at start up but usually settles somewhere around 32psi hot idle. This is running Shell Rotella 15w40. From hot idle, rule of thumb is an increase of 10psi per 1000rpm. A bandaid to raise psi is run 50w.

Okay, I was just wondering, becuase when my 400 gets warmed up, the oil pressure drops alot.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Okay, I was just wondering, becuase when my 400 gets warmed up, the oil pressure drops alot.

If you're going off the stock dummy gauge, stop what you're doing run to the nearest parts store, spend $30 on a Sun Pro oil psi gauge and go from there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts