Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 Build article

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Found this build article for a 400. All in all it seems pretty solid, but I can't believe the level of quality they had in some areas and the garbage they had in others...namely the ProComp heads. I also couldn't believe they had better success with the converted Air Gap intake than the CHI. Anywho, here's the article:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...nto_a_351_cleveland_stroker_engine/index.html

Oh yeah...and please forgive the 400m ignorance in the article.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Some faults in the build, but hey it's a 400 article!

Ive read alot bout those pro comp heads, they are so cheap, i was planning on buying some but ive got some 4v heads almost for free, (one of my 2v heads in my 400 is giving me hell).

From what ive heard, they arent bad a at all, they have a bad reputation becuase besides being chinese, chi or eddie heads will perform way way better, but come on 700 bucks for a comblete aluminium head (4v quench)? This includes single piece stainless steal valves (2.19/1.71),brocne guides, hardned seats, 10 degrees locks and dual springs acording to your cam specs.... Airflow will be a bit better than stock heads neverminding the ability of running lower octanes, id say it beats buying stock heads and rebuilding them.... thats my conclusion on all ive read bout them.

pros : Aluminium, cheap, even cheaper than stock rebiult heads, no water jacket problems, single piece stainless steal valves (2.19/1.71),bronce guides, hardned seats, 10 degrees locks and dual springs acording to your cam specs

cons: chinese, poor air flow for being a after market heads but still will perfomr better than stock 4vs.

So they are amazingly perfect for a budget built.

Bout the intake i wouldnt say, intakes can vary in performance acording to the heads they are on... so maybe a chi intake would outperform the airgap with a chi head combo, besides the air gap has smaller ports maybe getting better port velocity, which in this case could help...

nice article by the way

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good to see ya Joe...and great post. I kinda forgot it was only a budget, so I see the reasoning behind the heads now. And good point about the intake.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Smaller ports will also give ya a bit more low end grunt.

Yeah...that's why some guys that use their 335 to tow like the old eddy SP2P and Streetmasters...and as long as they don't break 35-4000rpm, they're fine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shhhhh...don't tell me or Lee that...pretty sure we've both had ours in excess of 5k.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I didnt say they wont do it. It just wont do it as easily.

I know I know...just ball busting. I just need to remember you're one that thinks trucks are just trucks and only have one purpose...work, while I like to deviate from that a bit more.

The prob of keeping a 4"stroke mass rotating at 7k would be the crank and rods,

Im really more interested in seeing a 7k or more turning 408 than a 434 to be honest.
Later on a second rebuilt ill be aiming at this..
Im planning on getting a steal eagle crank, h beam rods (costum made ouch), 4v chi heads, and forged Tmi pistons.

Oh a screamer 408 :D I think it would still be cheaper than a 408w...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You planning on doing a build thread Joe? I'd love to see it.

Im not far away from it, but im still doing some research and have other stuff to finish, i think by march/april 2010 id be on it... what bout you ben? got any of those trucks powered yet?

Also my 408 will go on a torino y have, not a truck..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Im not far away from it, but im still doing some research and have other stuff to finish, i think by march/april 2010 id be on it... what bout you ben? got any of those trucks powered yet?

Also my 408 will go on a torino y have, not a truck..

Sounds good Joe...I don't really have much going on, just the mild build in Red. And I have the same exact parts setup sitting around waiting to go in the Bronco. Once I get a steady cash flow, I plan on getting a little more wild...but for the time being, cams, headers and other typical add ons are all I can do.

If your stocker is still pumping good oil, those are the best mods for a 400, you will notice a huge difference...

love your trucks ben,

good looking monsters..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...still have great pressure 60 psi cold idle, 35ish psi hot idle in the 77 and 79, but the 79 has a 78 400 in it and is still completely stock with 83k on the clock...and thanks for the compliment.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shell Rotella 15w40...that's the only thing I'll ever run again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts