Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Thermactor setup

Hey guys. I got sent over here by a guy from the FordTruckForums page.

When I bought my beast, the thermactor system was completely disconnected. That is, the TAD and TAB solenoids have no vacuum lines on them, neither does the Air Bypass valve. I am trying to hook the system back up, but I don't know which vacuum line from the solenoids goes to which part of the bypass valve, and which goes to the manifold.

Is there a way to tell which solenoid is the TAD and which is the TAB?

My calibration number is 8-76A-R10 and I have an 1988 5.8L F250.

Thanks

The Air Bypass valve line is connected to the TAB solenoid and the TAB solenoid has the White wire with a red stripe on it coming from the EEC Computer.
The TAD solenoid has the White wire with a black stripe on it coming from the EEC Computer.
Both have a Red wire on them for the solenoid 12-Volt power and the Red wire comes from the EEC Power Relay.

8-76A-R10_Vac.jpg

what exactly is a thermactor system?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
THERMACTOR: A system for injection of air into the exhaust system to aid in the control of hydrocarbon and carbon monoxides in the exhaust.

Translated into English: It cons the emission sensors in various state inspection stations into thinking your vehicle of choice emits less exhaust gasses than it really does, by injecting fresh air into the exhaust stream, diluteing it with fresh air.

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts