Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

09 mkz brake pad r and r

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hey Vince, 09 Lincoln mkz again. Brakes this time.

Are there any special tricks to compressing the piston back into the caliper?

I'm working in an unheated garage at 10F so I might have missed something, but the piston seems to want to turn as it is pushed in and I don't want to rupture the boot...?? EDIT: Duh, it's supposed to!

I found a Youtube clip online, so I think I'm all set! (For anybody reading along, the pistons turn in as you push. Driver's side turns in clockwise, Passenger side CCW)

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey Vince, 09 Lincoln mkz again. Brakes this time.

Are there any special tricks to compressing the piston back into the caliper?

I'm working in an unheated garage at 10F so I might have missed something, but the piston seems to want to turn as it is pushed in and I don't want to rupture the boot...??

I'll look it up online, but if you have any tips they're always appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim
The tool to compress the caliper pushes at the same time turns the piston. Notice the "slots" in the piston? Thats what the tool engages to do the turning.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
OK, what is the procedure to get those little front pad retraction springs in place?

Trying to do anything on this car is nuts.... I've never had brakes kick my butt like this. The temps don't help...it was -10F when I started today, and it might be all the way up to +5 now.

Thanks my friend!

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK, what is the procedure to get those little front pad retraction springs in place?

Trying to do anything on this car is nuts.... I've never had brakes kick my butt like this. The temps don't help...it was -10F when I started today, and it might be all the way up to +5 now.

Thanks my friend!

Trying to remember off the top of my head, but if its like stiff wires that go into holes in each pad, you hold the pads close to the rotor, then slip the caliper over the pads.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Got it done but only with your input. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice with this. They saved me a ton of frustration and time.

I've had to fight with a couple of bad adjusting pins. One I twisted off the bolt and another was frozen in place and took a lot of heat and pounding. This car was originally a lease in NJ of NY. Apparently saw a lot of salt those first couple of years.

Those little wires are pretty easy when done like you explained.

Anyway, I owe you a beer or two the next time I'm in MO or you wander west. Until you're better paid, thank you!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Got it done but only with your input. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice with this. They saved me a ton of frustration and time.

I've had to fight with a couple of bad adjusting pins. One I twisted off the bolt and another was frozen in place and took a lot of heat and pounding. This car was originally a lease in NJ of NY. Apparently saw a lot of salt those first couple of years.

Those little wires are pretty easy when done like you explained.

Anyway, I owe you a beer or two the next time I'm in MO or you wander west. Until you're better paid, thank you!!
Coca-Cola for me!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts