Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Pressure Issue Resulting In Seized V10 Any Help

I have a 2003 F-250 V10 6.8L. A few months ago was on # hour trip and lost oil pressure. Truck never made any noise and checked oil and it was good. Started back up got oil pressure then lost it a mile up the road, still no noises. Decided to have it towed to nearby dealership and diagnosed because i had no time to do so myself. Would not imitate issue for ford dealership. They decided that we should put new sender in it and i allowed it and took the truck back. Now 3 months later on same 3 hour trip lost oil pressure again and this time locked up the engine even before i could turn it off. Is this a common issue with the V10. Im baffled on wat is causin oil pressure to drop for no apparent reason. Anyone with any input would be greatly appreciated.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
How many miles on the truck? Is the engine stock or modified? What brand oil filters & oil did you use and how often was the oil changed?

used castrol gtx 5 30 and wix filters changed between 3 and 3500 miles and truck has 110,000 miles on it and no other previous issues but i bought the truck with 60,00 already on it

One of the techs can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there was a TSB or advisory put out by Ford concerning non OEM oil filters on the modular engines. Ford has a video out about same and it's very convincing. Let me see if I can find it...

alright thanks for that i look through tsb's but didnt see one but i look at my shop. but it does seem to be a common issue with the modulars.

OK, so far I've found this:

This is what Ford has to say about NON-Ford filters and Warranty work.

Engine Damage / Non-Ford Oil Filters - All Model Years, All Vehicles
A review of warranty claims indicates that engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is being claimed under Ford warranty.

The check valves in some non-Ford filters disintegrate causing small rubber debris (frequently red color) to migrate into the engine's oil passages where they restrict flow. This restriction causes components (such as the variable cam timing phaser) to fail, and causes engine knocking / ticking /rattles.

Please reference:

SSM #18921 (Published: 11/03/05)
SSM #19642 (Published: 03/01/07)
TSB #06-19-08
Repair of engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is not covered per Section 3 of the Warranty & Policy Manual.

Category: Powertrain – Engine
Do: Look for bits of rubber (frequently red color) when repairing damaged engines.
Don't: Submit a warranty claim for damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts