Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

07 F250 4wd Dash Light Replacement

I have an 07 F250 super duty and the 4WD dash light stopped working. I can still put it in 4wd just no dash light. I was able to get the piece out that holds the bulb pretty easily. I read that the the dealer will only sell the complete unit for $58...

Does anyone know what bulb I can replace in this?
Thank you

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I pulled up the schematics for your vehicle and (as expected) the 4H and 4L lights themselves, and in the instrument cluster, are LED's. Schematics also show a light for the 4X switch and it's incandescent, presumably it's a panel lamp (I'm not familiar with your dash layout). Which one are you talking about?

There is only a single bulb behind the 4wd selector on the dash. Its not a LED. Its at the end of a plastic tip that comes out. There are extra long wire legs on the bulb cause they go thru the plastic tip and then wrap around the bottom so that when you screw the plastic tip in to the dash unit the wires contact inside. The bulb is about the size of the bulb you would find in a mini mag light..maybe just a little bigger.
Thank you for you time CowboyBilly9Mile

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
NP.

Other than the length or the color, any chance what you've got look something like the two in the upper left corner of this pic?

Final_2_R0.JPG

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Those two in the upper left corner are burnt out illumination bulbs for the headlight switch and the 4X switch on 95-11 Rangers. In the lower left corner was my first attempt at an LED retrofit. So with that said, you've got a few options, two of which assume you can solder and work on small items/good eyes/steady hands:

a) you might look and see if you can make use of these:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SYL0/74.oap?pt=01564&ppt=C0010

People have used these to replace the inst cluster bulbs in mid 2000+ Rangers because $20each at a dealer isn't a sane option. In your case, some rework will be needed to to install, provided that the physical size doesn't stop this from happening. The other concern is or might be, brightness. In those specs you will note this is in the T1 family. It might be that googling this base size will yield other candidates, if brightness is a concern. Or.......if it's too bright, add a resistor.

b) Carve a new trail, convert what you have to LED. Suggestion if you do this.....look for LED's that have a diffused light output, and even at that, they are hit and miss.

c) I'm aware of a guy on another forum that offers LED conversions; he is well respected for everything he does and can probably help you if you don't want to do a) or b) above. Be aware that his conversions face the same concerns I noted...brightness and hot spots/dead/dim spots. This may or may not bug you much; you two would need to discuss this.

There's nothing in it for me other than putting someone in need with hopefully someone who can help, so with that said if you like c) so on that note, if this is of interest let me know.

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
NP, keep us posted.

Ford Truck Articles