Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 11-08-2017, 12:54 AM

bryoung14 is on a distinguished road
Brake Shim

I am putting disc brakes on my 66 f100 using ibeams from a 70's f100. I am wondering what hardware is needed for the disc brakes. Specifically if they use shims. I believe I'm missing the part closest to the caliper in the image posted.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to all
What year models does that drawing refer to?

You can buy those parts as a kit from auto parts stores or online.

My 77 does not have that extra wedge piece you are referring to. You might need to look up the specifics on the axle/brake setup you are converting to.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
that keeps the pad from rattling
comes in a hardware kit
Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 AM

bryoung14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
that keeps the pad from rattling
comes in a hardware kit
Which hardware kit? The ones I've seen from MAC or AutoZone done have the shims. Can you direct toward a specific kit model.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 11:40 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
rockauto sells just the clips

CARLSON H5412 {#HW5412} Info One of our most popular parts

Front; w/Disc Brakes; D50

x8

$0.33

or the whole kit

EIS H5515 Info

Front; 1/2 TON and w/Front Disc/Rear Drum

Choose:
[Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 2 Remaining)

$0.68
Old 11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
owned by Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperrc View Post
What year models does that drawing refer to?

You can buy those parts as a kit from auto parts stores or online.

My 77 does not have that extra wedge piece you are referring to. You might need to look up the specifics on the axle/brake setup you are converting to.
your brake pads have them on both ends
Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to allJasperrc is a name known to all
Broung14, are you referring to the long wedge shaped piece shown between the caliper and the caliper support spring or the anti-rattle clips on the pads themselves shown at the bottom of the diagram?

My '77 F100 does not have the long wedge shaped shim piece I was referring to that is shown above but it does have the anti rattle clips Charlie is talking about.

It might be best to identify your new axle and figure out what came installed on it.

Here's what my set up has and likely yours too:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc Brake Diagram.jpg (27.6 KB, 4 views)

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 11-09-2017, 06:00 PM
owned by Fords

The spring and cap hold his caliper as a spring slide aginst the bracket
the bolt holds it in place

It's the same as yours

I looked his parts up as 1974

Last edited by dustybumpers; 11-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.