Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

"Hey Chris, where you been?!"

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Gee, how THOUGHTFUL of you to ask! :rofl:

Well someone in the house exceeded the download limit of 200mb that we're allotted for every day by the satellite internet company. So they slowed down our connection to nearly unusable speeds (I'm talking about FRACTIONS of the speed of dialup).

So as some of you might know, the guy at the driveline shop who balanced my driveshaft showed me the striations on the female end of the yoke going into my transfer case. He explained that this is caused by a bad tailshaft bushing in my the rear of my tcase. Checked the exploded tcase diagram in my repair manual and nothing... Called Ford parts department and nothing... THIS PART DOESN'T exist!! So the guy at the driveline shop referred me to a machine shop that makes them. Went down and got one :)

What a HASSLE I had with this dumb thing. Had to remove the tailshaft housing

DSC01344.jpg

And then remove the oil seal from the housing. This exposed the copper sleeve and a keyway cut into the bore outside the bushing. I forgot to snap a pic before I replaced the sleeve so here it is with the new sleeve in it. You can see the keyway on the left side:

From inside the tailhousing (more towards the trans):
IMG_0302.jpg

From outside the tailhousing (more towards the rear of the truck):
IMG_0307.jpg

After removing that oil seal, I was able to use a punch and a hammer to BEND the old bushing out of shape until the diameter decreased enough for the bushing to be pulled out with pliers. Here's what it looked like after being tortured by me :)

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Had to buy a new oil seal cuz I bent the old one out of shape trying to get it out. So I took the new seal and bushing over to Tom's place and used his hydraulic press to get 'em in there. Worked beautifully :)

Then trouble started... I got too excited and just slapped all the parts back together (after scraping off and reapplying RTV to the tailhousing). Took her for a drive down the street and it was squeaking like a sunovagun. Realized that I forgot to lubricate the seal/bushing. Drove the truck home and felt the tailshaft housing and it was really hot near the seal/bushing :headbang: Remove the driveshaft (AGAIN :headbang:) and there was a nice rubber ring melted onto the yoke on my driveshaft :headbang:

Tried to get my fingers into the tailhousing so I could lubricate everything but the opening around the male splined shaft was just too small. Went to the hardware store and bought a spray gun, filled it with ATF and squirted it inside. Reinstalled the driveshaft and no more squeak YelloThumbUp

Now I just need to wait and see if that seal leaks from melting part of it off :( My bet is, it probably will. If so I'll have to remove the tailshaft housing again and press in another one :headbang: Damn my ignorance.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol, nah I just spend whatever needs to be done... My mom pays for most of my school-related expenses (rent, food, books, etc), and I pay for my tuiton with loans. So that leans my steady income from work which I use most of on my truck and for gas :)

Hmm...In the last however many months...I have replaced the thermostat, antifreeze, and changed the oil/filter in the explorer. Nothing else to either vehicle.

smiliehijacked EDIT: I pay my house payment, utilities, food, insurance, and gas. I also pay on my medical bills which are way up in the thousands and thousands right now (growing every day). Then if anything is left (Yeah...Right!), I can make repairs or modify things.

And some people can't wait to get out of school and start their life. Boy...they have no idea what they are getting into. :(

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Hehe, reminds me of myself. Getting excited and doing something incorrect. Like the time I put all new ignition parts on and had every wire off by one on the cap and it wouldn't start (obviously).

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
ata boy skan . Hate to tell you I got a whole electric tranfer case with 20000 miles behind shed .

andym

Real men are fanatics
You should just convert to a manual shift fixed yoke transfer case if yours dies.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
ata boy skan . Hate to tell you I got a whole electric tranfer case with 20000 miles behind shed .
I have a spare tranny and transfer case with ~7500 miles for mine in a storage shed. :)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Well Chris, We all pitched in and got you a birthday gift.

Good news is- It's a stripper. smiliegitrdone

Bad news is- It's Andy!!!! chim chim shakin

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
You should just convert to a manual shift fixed yoke transfer case if yours dies.

X2...vacumn actuated hubs and electric 4x4 bring the ghey...

ROFL...Chris whatever you do DONT ask tell your stripper to crank your soldier, boy...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Glad to hear that, but I stand by what i said about electric 4x4...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts