Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'88 will not start...

JohnnyBuck

North Carolina Chapter member
i have a '88 f150 with a 5.0 that will not start. I have changed plugs, plug wires, dist. cap, and fuel filter,still nothing. I took the Ignition control Mod off and had it tested at Auto Zone ,they said it was bad so I replaced it too.
I really need to know how to the the test codes so I will have an idea where to go from here... also the cross-over tube at the back of the heads has rusted through, but would this keep the engine from starting?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
What are the no start symptoms...

Does it turn?

Engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, air and spark...

One of the 3 is not happening...

If the engine turns check to make sure your getting fuel...

Edit: Yes it will run with the rusted out tube, but will run like poorly and you will have a nasty exhaust leak.

Last edited:

JohnnyBuck

North Carolina Chapter member
Sorry I left out important information, engine does turn,I checked and do have fire at the plug, also getting fuel to the plugs, also brought #1 cyl. to TDC and checked location of rotory button and it is on #1.
Tried a shot of starting fulid still no change.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You hooked up a fuel pressure guage? Whats the reading. You have spark at the plugs? How are you testing?

those three things are ....

Fuel spark and COMPRESSION! All must happen at the right time! replacing parts makes as much sense as buying a new truck due to a flat tire! If it aint broke don't fix it. Check for vacuum to the map sensor on the firewall near the AC unit, check compression, a jumped timing chain or bent valves will make it sit still

Engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, air and spark...

One of the 3 is not happening...

If the engine turns check to make sure your getting fuel...

Edit: Yes it will run with the rusted out tube, but will run like poorly and you will have a nasty exhaust leak.[/QUOTE]

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts