Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ball joints

If I were to try to buy a mill/lathe, I would need 3 additional things.

1. The money to pay for it.

2. A place to put it.

3. The knowledge of how to use it.

I am trained in CNC work and can design just about anything mechanical using the inventor software to make the parts in 3D and then generate the G & N codes from the solid parts.

How to do that stuff by hand is beyond me. :headbang:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I have a manual tire changer like that. Don't really feel comfortable using it on pickup or trailer tires that see mostly highway miles, but it sure works great for the lawn tractor-type stuff.

And I know well how useful a mill and lathe can be. Most of what I know about wrenching, I learned from my grandfather. He was an excellent machinist (shop foreman at a world-leading machine tool builder for years) and grew up in the depression, so he didn't like to spend money if he didn't absolutely have to. I can't claim to be a skilled machinist, but I can bang out simple parts with reasonable accuracy.

I got the knuckle off the truck tonight. Dropped it off at my mechanic tonight; he'll press the new joints in for me and I'll reassemble it tomorrow. I probably didn't save any money with the tools I had to buy, but the feeling when that GD knuckle dropped off the truck was just about worth the headache (and backache).

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Oh, I know you CAN do it well enough to run hard.

I just don't trust ME to do it. I've had some go right, and some go wrong (that I know of) and to me, it's worth the $10-15/wheel to have tires professionally mounted/balanced on the six road-going wheels I own.

All the trailers on my car hauler were mounted with a manual tire changer... and they came from a Buick Regal that a Mexican that I worked with gave me, trans went out so I hauled it away.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well, I did the math.

I could have bought two hours labor with what I spent on stuff other than the actual parts. With less headache, and less backache. (I bought another grease gun because mine is in Dad's garage, and I also had to buy a 1/2" breaker bar and two sockets, and a ball-joint fork. All things I'm happy to add to my toolbox, except the grease gun.)

But I think it's done and I think it's OK.

The knuckle was pretty damned stiff when I put it all back together and I started flipping out, but my roommate said he figured it was just 'cause they were new. Drove it maybe a mile and the steering is mostly OK but doesn't quite return to center right. I'm hoping it'll loosen up in the next 10-20 miles and be fine.

[insert philosophical ramblings on working on ones own car that I'm too lazy to type]

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
I wanted to mount passenger radials on my trailer. No one would do it for me, so I bought a tire changer (<$50).
IMG_2223.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200349248_200349248
And I've used it to put ceramic balancing beads in the front tires of my E-350.

And for those that want a lathe/milling machine...I waited until I was 59 to get mine and now wish I had done it 40 years sooner. It's soooo handy.
IMG_4409.jpg

Mine will turn a 10" brake drum or rotor, not to mention all the other stuff I've made. Don't wait, get it now, you'll never be sorry -- I'll bet you save what you spent on it in the first year!
http://www.smithy.com/products.php?cid=23

That's sweet. I don't have room. Can I come over to use yours?

Just wondering, why passenger radials? The tire people all recommend trailer-type tires. I use the wear-downs from the van.

Last edited:
I have had terrible luck with trailer (ST) tires. Over 1/2 of the trailer tires I used ended in catastropic failure (blowout, tread separation, uneven wear, cracking). Since I've gone to car radials I haven't had one problem in over 40,000 trailer miles. The van tires (LT) would be even better.

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Yep!

I have had terrible luck with trailer (ST) tires. Over 1/2 of the trailer tires I used ended in catastropic failure (blowout, tread separation, uneven wear, cracking). Since I've gone to car radials I haven't had one problem in over 40,000 trailer miles. The van tires (LT) would be even better.

smilieIagree My thoughts exactly. Reason I asked was I said much the same as you just did on another forum (which shall forever remain nameless, unless you ask) under either the tires or trailer section and some "expert" kind of went ballistic saying bias-ply trailer-only tires are all that should be mounted on them because of this and that and etc., etc.

Since then I have read that many trailer tires are bought in large lots and often are "well aged" before sold, which might account for the poor performance you have received from them.

My own decision was based on the fact that I have these tires with legal tread, they can carry all the load I care to put on my trailer, and I don't mind taking it easy if I happen to have a near-max load on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts