Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new brake lines

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'd been kind of thinking that I might replace the brake lines in my truck this summer, as they're all original and didn't really look that great.

Well, I blew out one in the back on my way home from work today, so I guess it's sooner rather than later...

Is this something I can do my self? I've bled brakes before, but never monkeyed with the lines.

Good thing it's Friday, so I've got the weekend to fix it.

as much as i'm NOT a NAPA fan, that will be where you get the lines and fittings. They have pre-bent flared, ready to go lines. the places you need a cross over, they have also.
NO compression fittings. inverted flare is for brake pressure.. don't skimp, you can do your truck for $50 as long as the old fittings come out OK

that's true tom, with my luck getting lines loose.

Good. I don't think you could really raise me if ya tried...

Fellro

Staff member
I usually have made my own, but one thing, you don't get the right size line nut with the straight ones you get in generic form. The nut for the hose fitting is metric, while the wheel cylinders is standard, so if you make your own, you have to reuse the nut for the hose fitting. Other than that, cut to length, bend as needed, and have at it! If you want them to be pretty, you need a bending tool, best one I know of is a QUALITY bender that slides over the pipe while curving around the inner form. I broke a cheap version in the first use or so... it can be tricky to get it all to match. What I have seen others suggest, and makes good sense, is to take a piece of wire, bend it to match the original line, then make the new line fit to match the wire.
On the flaring, I actually get away with single flares, but there is a trick to that, be sure you have plenty of material to flare sticking up out of the flare tool, and don't over do it making the flare. (Cracks tend to form in poor material, or if over done, hence why it is recommended to double flare) That takes some practice to get right though, and depending on the material quality, it may require a couple attempts... When cutting the steel line, NEVER use a hacksaw, always use a tubing cutter, they are cheap, but worth every penny and then some.

Feel better, Brian?? :p

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well, I figured out where it blew- the flex line that runs from the frame rail down to the rear axle. Tried to take it out to bring it to Napa to match for a new one, and buggered the hard line taking it off, so I sure as heck need to replace THAT one.

I ended up pulling the bed off- I'd wanted to anyway sometime this summer to wire-brush and Rustoleum the frame, and I figured I might as well do it all now and make it easier to get to the brake lines.

What are people's thoughts on replacing the fuel pump while the bed is off? It's original. It still works, and they're not cheap, but if it went out at the wrong time, it could wind up being a lot more expensive.

Fellro

Staff member
It would definitely save some trouble later...

I was hoping there was some really good advice on making new lines in this thread. It should be advice on the tools to bend and double flare the lines. Advice on doing each of those steps would be good too.

I am dissapinted. :rotz:

Anyone know where to look for this? I have read a little on hotrodders, but...it can't hurt to read more.

Ford Truck Articles