Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to the forum

Hi folks,

This is my first post. I have a '65 F100 352, 3 speed manual, I bought back in the '80s. I've only used it for hauling construction materials etc... when I built my house but now that I'm older, I'm looking at it through different eyes and want to start restoring it (at least a bit). I have a few glaring issues that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

1. It's always started kind of hard especially when sitting a while. I've changed the points over to CDI and put in a new relay but I think now the problem is fuel related. Should I convert the mechanical pump over to electric?

2. The ring gear is missing teeth (must be a lot of teeth because it the starter slips often) Is this a common problem for this vehicle? Should I try to replace it myself or take it somewhere.

3. The braking is not adequate for a truck of this weight. I've read of people converting to front discs. It's hard to find a cheap or wrecked 73-79 ford f100 or f150 donor around here. What are others doing? The kits are expensive.

4. It's always wandered around on the road -- freeway included. Is that normal for this truck?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Welcome to FTF.
I'd put on a electric pump if it were mine.

Replacing the ring gear isn't bad. You have to separate the engine from the transmission, a good time to replace the clutch and pressure plate while you in there.

Not sure on the brake upgrade on that year some one else will chime in.
The older trucks drive different but I would check the front end for play and also the streering box they get sloppy and can cause it to wonder some.

Welcome to FTF.
I'd put on a electric pump if it were mine.

Replacing the ring gear isn't bad. You have to separate the engine from the transmission, a good time to replace the clutch and pressure plate while you in there.

Not sure on the brake upgrade on that year some one else will chime in.
The older trucks drive different but I would check the front end for play and also the streering box they get sloppy and can cause it to wonder some.

Thank you for the quick reply. The steering box appears to have play 'as designed'. There is a small dowel above the rag joint where you can turn the steering wheel -- and until the sleeve hits that dowel the wheels don't turn.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the rag joint is worn out. That dowel shouldn't touch anything unless the rubber part of the rag joint has deteriorated a good bit. These twin I beam trucks do handle differently than other setups but making sure the rag joint, tie rods and drag link are in good shape will help.

Love to see some pics of your truck!

Ford Truck Articles