Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

68 question

I was given a 68 F250 4x4. Any idea what the motor is?

There were a lot of engines offered back then. Somone else might be able to tell what it was supposed to have based on the VIN.

There are numbers on the block as well. That would be more accurate, but I have no clue where to look.

With one that old..the engine could have been swapped, so it will be hard to tell without the block numbers.

They stopped putting the Y-block in trucks in 64, so I would guess it is one of the early FE blocks.

Got any pics of the engine?

Just measure the bore and stroke. If you have that info and you know how many cylinders the motor has you can easily figure the displacement.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
theres a good chance its not the orignal motor.

you wouldnt beleive how many trucks ive seen with the vin code for 390 and it be a 360 or lesser.

Ive got a 67

Most old trucks have been swapped to something else by now. However, there are some original drivetrains still on the road. Mine is and its older than the one you have.

There was a poll on the other site in the 48-60 area (before the admins shut it down) and 25% of the trucks had cheby drivetrains in them. It was apparently against the rules over there to discuss cheby drivetrains in ford trucks. The admins got a little upset over that one!

Very few had the original drivetrains. I don't recall the percentages, but it was very low. The majority of the ones that were swapped were Ford though. :) Again...we are talking older trucks than yours.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
mines orignal. Engine and tranny. the diff is different. My dad blew a ring gear out the side of the pumkin

other than its totally orignal. with the rare in deal add on option of the grill guard ive only seen 3 other trucks with this grill guard. 2 where pics ive seen online. And my buddy has the exact same truck except its white. Owned by the same ownere as mine.

I don't have any pic's of it. The truck is sitting in a friends backyard and has been since it was given to me in Nov 06. It's my understanding there had not been any swaps with the engine. It doesn't have any drivelines, and thats a spendy project so it's just been sitting.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
lol but mine is the orignal, same as the day it rolled off the line.

well its bored over now....my dad told me .30 over.

Well...if we are getting technical.

My VIN says mine was a 272 when it was new. The block numbers say the block is a 272. I have no way of knowing if it is the original block. I have only had it for a little over two years. The PO had it for 9 and that was the engine that was in it when he got it. His B.I.L. had it before him and drove it to work every day. I do not know how long he had it.

Ford Truck Articles