Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Fuel Pressure

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Any of you guru's happen to know what the high, low and average fuel pressure should be on the 6.0's... Ive done the blue spring mod.. but when i looked online the specs i got are not what my new gauge is showing...

IMG-20140823-01533_zps44d34711.jpg

of the specs i found online.. this would be normal.. they stated 45psi at the lowest before damage occurs.. and no higher than 75psi or it blows out the seals.. 50-65 was supposedly norm..

IMG-20140823-01532_zpsbc90c60e.jpg

what im actually seeing most the time...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those numbers you stated were what I had read when I got my H&S tuner...have you checked to see if the gauge you have is reading right?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i do have wonder if i damaged the wires feeding them through the firewall.. but doesnt make sense as to why sometimes on start up it raises to what norm should be and other times it doesnt.. was going to pull the gauge tomorrow and inspect the connection again.. was getting dark here due to a storm moving in...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I can't explain it....but I'd sure check to make sure the gauge is reading properly. I had bought new gauges a couple of years ago for my quad and the mechanical oil pressure gauge was pooched out of the box.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
my mpg has dropped too over the last few months... was getting 18-19 on the highway when i got it.. but since about mid spring i havent seen anything over 13... (more times than not im sitting about low 12's).. starting to suspect something in there isnt right...

when it WAS reading 55 truck took off like it had somewhere to be... (granted fuel pressure dropped greatly too lol that was fun to watch.. then climbed back up when i let off) but when i came back out after being in the store and cranked it over.. that was the 35 was the highest i saw and it never climbs back up.. did drop to 34 when i got on it though... not that it really enjoyed moving either...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Maybe Vince will chime in.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
usually does... just have to wait for him to get on... hope he has some iders... they did find 3 dead injectors back in June...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
shot a message to the company asking how i can trouble shoot the sensor to varify that its not the source itself.. i can test the wires tomorrow.. if i have to replace that i can just splice it in

blacksnapon

Staff member
At WOT you want no less than 45. All other readings are pretty much inconsequential. Too much pressure, if it dont use it, it goes back to the tank.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
what should the normal reading be?? cuz i was sitting still when i took that pic and was right after start up...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Instrument Specification Measurement
Diesel Fuel Flow Tester 310-193 or equivalent E-Series 262 kPa (38 psi) MIN - 455 kPa (66 psi) MAX
F-Super Duty/Excursion 310 kPa (45 psi) MIN - 503 kPa (73 psi) MAX

Fuel System

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if i figure out its not the gauge, sensor or wires... should changing the fuel pump on the frame rail fix it? or is there something else id need to look at?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
heard alot about the tanks falling apart inside... really dont look forward to dropping the tank now... Filled it up today :(

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think that was the metal tanks Shawn....pretty sure yours is plastic.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
some of the plastic ones have the issue too...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
At WOT you want no less than 45. All other readings are pretty much inconsequential. Too much pressure, if it dont use it, it goes back to the tank.

got to thinking about what you said right there and has me curious too about something else... i noticed when i was doing the gauge function tests and set the high low warnings that when i turned the key on it built pressure... but after a couple seconds id hear a click under the dash if i didnt start it right away the pressure would bleed off fairly quick.. is that also normal for it to return like that while the keys still on??

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
unfortunately from the looks of the tests i just ran on the gauge and the sensor.. its appearing more and more like my lift pump might be on its last limping little leg... crap... :(

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Alright... I bought a mechanical gauge from summit I'm getting the same odd readings... Sometimes it'll read 55psi. Oter times 35 at idle or when I've got koEoff

Ford Truck Articles