Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my latest headache 2000 ranger

Ive got a wierd problem with my ranger and before i start throwing money into it haphazzardly maybe someone can give me an idea

I do alot of severe city driving in NYC. When i have to stop hard ( not enough to get the ABS to work, and if i do make the ABS work this doesnt happen) when i get the truck to a stop a second later i hear a bang or like a clang from the rear of the truck. I had a transmission changed but it was doing this befor that although now its more pronounced.. the trans is the automatic and its 2Wd
the right side motor mount is new and has been replaced and is ok the trans mount is new too... ( motor is a 3.0 )

Its a one piece aluminum driveshaft and the U Joints appear to be good.. i dont feel any play in the yoke of the rear..
someone suggested the bushings in the rear leaf springs are bad and causing the rear to sort of slide a little bit under extreme braking..
does this sound right or should i be looking for something else..
the front end is coil spring and the ball joints are all new

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
You could see if the bushings look dryrotted. You can pry with a bar and see if your leaf springs shift back and forth. Also check and make sure you don't have a broken shackle. My neighbor had that problem where it was rusting through.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^Shackles and spring hangers were my first thought, too- they tend to rust on these trucks.

Basically, though...I'd be going over everything between the axle and the frame with a fine-toothed comb looking for something that was broken or showed signs of movement- spring packs, sway bar and links, all that stuff...

(I doubt it'll get you anywhere, but I'd probably try jumping up and down on the tailgate, too- see if you hear anything thunking around as the suspension flexes. For the 15 seconds it takes to try it, might be worth the long shot...)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Check the splines on the slip yoke of the driveshaft.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^I thought binding at the slip-yoke typically showed itself under acceleration, not braking. Can it act up under hard braking, too?

well i went to the spring shop this morning and they found play in the springs ,, the rubber in the bushings were worn some so we went for new springs ( re arced and added one leaf) and new bushings , I also put on new brakes while i had the wheeld off ( they were prolly a month or so before done) and $440.00 later it appears the npoise is gone,,, Im going to have someone pull the rear cover and inspect the rear because it still has a bit of a slam but no squeak kinda noise..

Ford Truck Articles