Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel tank

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotta get the decoder ring out...I think what you're saying is, you belive your truck has a 13 gallon fuel tank...and you're wondering if your truck had/has a 2 tank set up. Right?

Anyway...pretty sure for dual tanks, it was 18 gallon and 20 gallon.

Fellro

Staff member
18 and 20 for full length bed, and 16 for the shortbeds... it would seem you aren't getting all the fuel out of the tank if that is all you can ever get in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did 350's ever come in a short bed?

Fellro

Staff member
Not that I am aware of, at least until more recent times. Point of my statement was more that the smallest available on any F series was 16.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha...was just wondering...cuz I always thought it would be cool to have a 350 4by shorty...and always thought they didn't exist. So thanks for getting my hopes up and then squashing them.

What would cause 5 gallons of fuel to go unused like that, the tank does look about 18 gallons. The gauge still goes to empty though, is there anyway to adjust it. I've never pushed itthat far past Empty, maybe the gauge is saying empty and there's still 5 gallons left?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're truck is 29 years old...the guage is probably reading incorrectly, due to a 29 year old sending unit. Not uncommon at all.

Fellro

Staff member
Mostly light. Depends what you mean as to heavy, to me, all F150-350 are classified light, as that is their proper designation. 450 and 550 are medium.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id drive it on that tank till it runs completly out and have either a full second tank or a five gallon can in the bed when it runs out see where your gauge reads then either switch tanks or put the 5 gallon can in. Then go to the gas station and fill it up and see how many gallons it takes.

Hello!

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the forum. I have owned 14 Ford trucks so far, everything from my first, a '79 F150 4X4; my favorite, a gen 1 Lightning (1994), 2 Rangers, 2 Bronco II's, 3 other F-150's, 1 F350 7.3 powerstroke and currently the second 6 liter PSD, along with Dad's 85 F150 Lariat. You could say I am a fan.smilieFordlogo

I am looking for information as to how the fuel filler tube on the rear tank (19gallon) on the 85 SWB 2WD can be modified/altered in order to get fuel into the tank. I have tried everything I can think of, and still the tube fills up after I pump about 3/4 gallon in. The tank, filler hose, and internal vent hose are all new.

Fellro

Staff member
Have you checked the rollover valve vent hose? They can get plugged up and not let the air escape. If it plugs, the air has to come back out the fill neck. That joke of a vent hose doesn't work on my diesel either...

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I kinda have the same problem. Only my gauge still reads about 1/8 and the truck starts stumbling. I fill up and get only 14 gallons in it. I am wandering if the sending unit the previous owner put in doesn't reach all the way down.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts