Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wheel Bearing

Michigan
Hey Ya'll, I have a 95 bronco, i did a brake job over the summer, replaced all the bearings. Well i had the truck in to get new radius arm bushings and my mechanic told me my wheel bearing on the passengers side needs to be tightened a bit, and it was no big deal. So i didnt do it and i finally relized that it could be causing my vibration at 75 MPH. I had my tires rebalanced and still a vibration. So tomorrow im going to tear my hubs back apart and tighten the nut a little bit. I sure hope this helps that stupid annoying vibration! Does anyone need any pictures of how the hubs are put together or whatnot? I have lockouts.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just don't tighten it too much Mike. Look up the spec for that inner nut, I believe it's around 150 ft-lbs but don't quote me on that. DO NOT tighten it over spec or you'll start burning up those bearings.

Michigan
Tech Artical Maby?

Michigan
Ok thanks Chris, Yea i gotta get my stinkin Chiltons back lol.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey Ya'll, I have a 95 bronco, i did a brake job over the summer, replaced all the bearings. Well i had the truck in to get new radius arm bushings and my mechanic told me my wheel bearing on the passengers side needs to be tightened a bit, and it was no big deal. So i didnt do it and i finally relized that it could be causing my vibration at 75 MPH. I had my tires rebalanced and still a vibration. So tomorrow im going to tear my hubs back apart and tighten the nut a little bit. I sure hope this helps that stupid annoying vibration! Does anyone need any pictures of how the hubs are put together or whatnot? I have lockouts.
Go ahead and post it! That would be an important source of information to someone not familiar with it!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah Vince is right, take some pics and make a tech article. There ALWAYS questions about hub repairs, would be a very good source for guys to reference.

Michigan
Yea it wasnt when i first did it, thats the reason why im doing it again LOL.. Also the gear with the spring, i had that backwards and no matter how tight i got the bolts for the hub cover, i would leak axle grease all over my wheels. Finally figured it out.

Last edited:
Michigan
Any other tec articals let me know, i can practice my writing skills for college as well as give me an excuss to tear my truck apart haha

blacksnapon

Staff member
Any other tec articals let me know, i can practice my writing skills for college as well as give me an excuss to tear my truck apart haha
Remember, we have a huge number of techs on this site. Any of them, I am sure would be willing to give you help. We are limited however to the last ten years for our on line manuals. Us "old turds" will help as much as possible (the memory goes after a while).

Michigan
AAaaa Gotcha, well il post up that hub teardown when i get a chance. Il work on it later tomorrow night, i do my best work when its late out and a Friday night! lol

Michigan
OK i got er done. My hub nut was so loose i put the tool on there and i could turn it by hand. My torque wrench only went up to 75 Ft Lb's so i tightened it up to as tight as i could, as well as line up the holes for the half moon clip. If you still want me to make that artical just let me know. I did take pictures..

Michigan
The hub that i just re tightened was a little warm. Im hoping thats the bearing and it will eventually break in. Right?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
OK i got er done. My hub nut was so loose i put the tool on there and i could turn it by hand. My torque wrench only went up to 75 Ft Lb's so i tightened it up to as tight as i could, as well as line up the holes for the half moon clip. If you still want me to make that artical just let me know. I did take pictures..

If you tightened you wheel bearing adjusting nut to 75ft-lbs your gonna have a problem.

Autolock hubs wheel bearing retaining nut spec is 16 in-lbs

Man Hub inner nut is 50 ft-lbs and back off 1/4 turn.
Man Hub outer nut is 160-205 ft-lbs

If yours is at 75 you need to loosen it or you'll smoke those bearings.

Michigan
OK i will, i swear in my chiltons i saw 160 FTLB's.....

Michigan
I have the locking hubs, Once you take apart the snap ring, the other coil ring, pop the center gear out with the spring, then that outer clip thats a pain in the ass to take out, After you slide that part out, you look in there and there is a half moon clip with a pin, take that out and its that nut. Is that the nut that needs to be 50 Ft LBs? I didnt see any other nut in there.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have the locking hubs, Once you take apart the snap ring, the other coil ring, pop the center gear out with the spring, then that outer clip thats a pain in the ass to take out, After you slide that part out, you look in there and there is a half moon clip with a pin, take that out and its that nut. Is that the nut that needs to be 50 Ft LBs? I didnt see any other nut in there.

Are they auto hubs or manual hubs?

Michigan
Manual hubs

Michigan
Backed off a quarter turn. None of those pics are showing up for some reason..

Ford Truck Articles