Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinions on a couple of Broncos on ebay please

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Just looking.....while wifey and I were talking about getting a 4 door dent to match my 77, it may be more practical to start looking at something that she could use more with the kids and such and something that we'd be more likely to jump into as a family and take a nice long ride or just tool around in town running errands.

We're also thinking about kid #2 coming up.

Any thoughts on these two that I saw this morning would be appreciated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1182

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I would go with the 91. The reason is it isn't lifted.
I have seen to many that are lifted incorrectly making them not safe for the driver let alone the family members riding along.
If you want a lift do it yourself or have a reputable shop do it.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
I like the 96 lol. Never been a fan of the 91 front end

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you're not looking at 78-79 BKO's, I'd only consider a 94-96 with 351 for dd purposes.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm really digging the first one, but I really like the 91. Hope that helps! smilietease

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I would go with the 91. The reason is it isn't lifted.
I have seen to many that are lifted incorrectly making them not safe for the driver let alone the family members riding along.
If you want a lift do it yourself or have a reputable shop do it.

This is a good point Randy....I was just barely leaning toward the lifted one and now you have me back on the fence...maybe others can help sway me one way or the other. :headbang:

I like the 96 lol. Never been a fan of the 91 front end

This crossed my mind also.....I wasn't crazy about it.

I'm really digging the first one, but I really like the 91. Hope that helps! smilietease

Hahahaha.....great, thanks for the huge help! :headbang:

ARE THE PRICES REASONABLE? Where's the price police?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If you're not looking at 78-79 BKO's, I'd only consider a 94-96 with 351 for dd purposes.

So the 96? And the lift is ok? Remember, we won't be doing any offroading whatsoever, I just enjoy being in a lifted vehicle for a variety of reasons, but that alone isn't a major deciding factor.....just helps.

Are the prices decent? I thought they were.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So the 96? And the lift is ok? Remember, we won't be doing any offroading whatsoever, I just enjoy being in a lifted vehicle for a variety of reasons, but that alone isn't a major deciding factor.....just helps.

Are the prices decent? I thought they were.

I'd find a stock 96 with 351W if it were me. A good one will run you 3500-4k. If it's sub-100k and looks like big rob's, I'd go 5k. There are a couple of go to sellers over on FSB, I'll see if they have or know of anything.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'd find a stock 96 with 351W if it were me. A good one will run you 3500-4k. If it's sub-100k and looks like big rob's, I'd go 5k. There are a couple of go to sellers over on FSB, I'll see if they have or know of anything.

Sweet......let me know.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I do like the 96 Body style over the 91 Ken But being lifted may be an issue with a new young driver I advise caution on putting a new young driver in a lfted vehicle imo.I know how i was back in the day..lol

Fatherdoug,thats a pretty sweet looking 78 there,but not enough information of the mechanical information of the vehicle.imo he is trying to sell by the apperance of the Bronco in his add,from what im getting out of it,grant it i could be wrong.if im going to spend 18k I want all the overall details including engine and drivetrain conditions,but thats just me.Looks sometimes can be deceiveing.

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Honestly I wouldnt go for either of those... I love that '96 and if I had to choose that would be my pick... but the lift, as others have pointed out, may or may not be ok. Aside from I just don't like big lifts that well. The thing that jumped out at me about the 91 was if it's 90,000 original miles why was the engine rebuilt in 2006? a well cared for 351 should go for 200,000 miles without needing a rebuild...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My 2 cents on buying a lifted rig...don't let the lift be a deterrent, but thoroughly inspect it, especially if it's a ride height and tires you want. Typically lift and tires might...maybe maybe maybe increase the rig $500-1000 over going mart value over it's stock counterpart. You can't buy most good lifts for $500, much less the install (if you take to a shop), and for anything 35" or bigger, you're dropping a cool grand minimum. My lift no-no's are any kind of block or spacer up front; broken, bowed or sagging springs; Home made body lifts and I'd check for excessively worn parts from the extra rolling resistance...wouldn't be a deal breaker, but keep the extra cost of repairs in the back of your mind when negotiating.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
SuperCab said:
Honestly I wouldnt go for either of those... I love that '96 and if I had to choose that would be my pick... but the lift, as others have pointed out, may or may not be ok. Aside from I just don't like big lifts that well. The thing that jumped out at me about the 91 was if it's 90,000 original miles why was the engine rebuilt in 2006? a well cared for 351 should go for 200,000 miles without needing a rebuild...

That is kind of a red flag.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
taxreliever said:
Very pleasurable! Wow.....usually lots of bids in the final minutes, be interesting!

It is in tx, so that would have to factor in the cost! The other 2 are on NY and MASS, both within driving distance.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Here's the bottom line Ken,if you have your heart set on the 96 start asking questions to the owner on how things were done before you bid.Ask untill you are completely satisfied you may even want a phone number to discuss the situation.I am sure you know how it works.All we can do is advise our opinions from what we see.personaly i like the 96 and like Ben stated dont let the lift deter you if thats what you realy want.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Here's the bottom line Ken,if you have your heart set on the 96 start asking questions to the owner on how things were done before you bid.Ask untill you are completely satisfied you may even want a phone number to discuss the situation.I am sure you know how it works.All we can do is advise our opinions from what we see.personaly i like the 96 and like Ben stated dont let the lift deter you if thats what you realy want.

I've started the questions......I also noticed in the 91, the tranny was redone also....but like you said, I really want the lift, so might lean towards that one and start asking some of the lift questions Ben brought up....maybe even ask him to send close ups I can list here.

The 91 auction ended yesterday with the high bid at $4150 and he relisted it with his reserve lowered by $500, from 5900 to now 5500.

Saw this on super close to me, a few hours even:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3154449193.html

See if you guys have any thoughts on this one while still having my eyes on that 96 on ebay, which just looks super clean. Thanks,

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts