Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Offroad license plate

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
I hope this is not TOO off topic, but how many of you guys subscribe to Peterson's 4Wheel Drive and Offroad? Some guy wrote in asking how to get one of their license plates - happens all the time. Rick Pewe responded that you had to either come to one of their trail rides or have your truck in a photo shoot for the mag.

Below is kind of a tonque in cheek rebuttal to Rick about this issue - I sent it to him today. :) My second question would be, would any of you guys buy a tag if they were made available?

Here's the mountain I made out of a mole hill.... :)

I read Nick Dayak’s question in the March 2009 “In Box” regarding how to get one of your signature license plates. If I’m reading it correctly, the only way we can be honored enough to advertise for your magazine is by meeting you for a trail ride or possibly getting a photo spread on an individual’s truck. To take this one more step forward, your loyal readers aren’t allow even to PAY to advertise for your magazine via a simple license plate.

This situation doesn’t make business sense to me. Almost every manufacturer will gladly give a customer some kind of advertizing shwag and encourage you highly to put it somewhere where it will be seen by the most people.

Is there some reason why I can’t buy a license plate to advertize for the best magazine I’ve ever read? I’ve followed you on every television show and change of magazine and thousands of trail rides and info since 1986, but I can’t buy a tag.

I know that you guys are not rolling in dough – you comment on it frequently in the magazine. So why won’t you let us BUY a license plate and thus better fund your magazine and hey, possibly even support the justification of a pay raise for you guys. Stranger things have happened.

Unless you have a truly sensible reason why we can’t buy a tag to advertise for you, I’d like to see you offer these for sale and stand back and see if my conclusion comes to pass. Also, since almost every reader would want a plate, you could charge just about what you wanted to – that “supply and demand” thing. Personally, I’d be willing to pay for a license plate. Just think how much money would roll in if even HALF of your readership bought a tag – and how much more potential is there to receive even MORE money when people see the tag and subsequently subscribe to the magazine?!?! Sounds like a true “WIN/WIN” to me.

So I await your answer and hope this can be put into place. I have cash in my hand to send to you the first day you offer a license plate for sale.

I love this magazine and have subscribed to it for many many years. All I’m asking is that you take some more of our money (which we will gladly spend) to advertise for you.

Cheers!
rpoe

Last edited:
i agree with the reasoning. if i place an order from Summit racing, I get a hat, stickers, etc.

similar mentality for the window stickers here. i'm not dying to PAY YOU to ship me one and advertise.

a common practice (like amazon does) is to cover shipping with CRAP in the box. places that give away free shirts MAKE MONEY by having other people pay them to put their sticker in the box and mail it to me. we could here (and the guy in the letter above) charge an advertiser to send their crap along with the sticker.

just a thought/ramble

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
I have seen their plates in some of the news stand copies of 4wheel & Off Road,
but never in subscription copies or for sale by themselves.
I actually have one from a year or two ago, that was in a news stand copy.
That's not to say that I wouldn't want to be able to purchase one by itself.
As I too am an avid reader of said magazine, and would love to be able to purchase a plate.
That way, I can have one on both of my trucks. (when I get them going again)

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
I actually agree with you on the downfall of the magazine. My latest favorite mag is Bronco Driver, except that you'll strain your eyes looking for a full size 78-79 Bronco featured. There is one in an ad in the mag but somehow that's just not quite enough. :)

Thanks for your response. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
rpoe

Ford Truck Articles