Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

daytime headlight use

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I drove through Ontario last week, and got to wondering...

Canada requires new vehicles to have daytime running lights. I'm not exactly clear on the particulars of the law, but I am fairly certain that if I lived a little further north my '09 Ranger would have come equipped with DRLs.

Does anybody know if I am required to turn on my headlights during the day if I drive my US-registered pickup in Canada?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I drove through Ontario last week, and got to wondering...

Canada requires new vehicles to have daytime running lights. I'm not exactly clear on the particulars of the law, but I am fairly certain that if I lived a little further north my '09 Ranger would have come equipped with DRLs.

Does anybody know if I am required to turn on my headlights during the day if I drive my US-registered pickup in Canada?

You are not required to turn them on if you are visiting. The DRL's are activated through the ECM, when I got the Shelby from Maine it was one of the things that needed to be done.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks! .

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anytime :D, one thought might be to turn them on for the hell of it to attract less attention to yourself....it should be apparant to a LEO if they see the plate, but I've always liked to avoid attention.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah...I did, once it occurred to me.

I was up around Parry Sound by that time, though, so I was just wondering if I'd been illegal up to that point.

Fellro

Staff member
I know plenty argue against them, but I do find it helps to vehicles in the distance much sooner.

Here's one for ya. In Virginia , your not allowed any thing obstructing the head light, as in the little 1/4" bars on brush guards that run horizontal in front of the light. Friends of mine with new trucks have got tickets and had to cut the bars off. But yet the lights on newer trucks are ten times brighter then my 78 F250.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts