Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

towing

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Wondering what the towing capacity would be for my 75 f250 supercab. I am not sure if it is a camper special but it does have a 460 c6, overload rear springs and it is a long bed. I am looking at getting a fifth wheel camper and just curious what i would be able to tow.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Buck, the best I can do is the recommendation out of the 1978 owner's manual. For some reason, it does not list the 460 engine for the F250 4 X 2 supercab longbed(155" WB). Maximum recommended trailer weight with a fifth wheel hookup is 6500 lbs with a GCWR of 12500.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Good info. Seems like I'd be able to handle more than 6500 lbs for a 5th wheel though which is pretty small with the 460/C6. I think the rear springs would handle more of a load. I know lbs is all the same, but I wonder if the pulling of 70s style campers is different than modern day ones since the load specs reflect 70s style campers. Heck, I've seen modern F150s pull some pretty heavy campers down the road and I know a 75 F250 longbed with a 460 would be better than those or even some of the newer F250s. I'd be more concerned with braking power than anything, but that's what good trailer brakes are for.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Good info. Seems like I'd be able to handle more than 6500 lbs for a 5th wheel though which is pretty small.

You'd be surprised....although there will be arguements that "my truck easily towed xxxx"...the tow ratings are pretty conservative.
My own '05 350 SRW with the 11,400 GVW package has a GVW of 23k#.
Allows a 15k# fifth wheel with the truck weight of 8k# with my carcass in it and full fuel.
What you can handle and what is legal are two different things..I'm sure this will create a tirade of responses, but what is spec'd by Ford is what it is.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
What you can handle and what is legal are two different things..I'm sure this will create a tirade of responses, but what is spec'd by Ford is what it is.

Ya, that's an entire different ball game. I see people pulling trailers all the time with trucks that squat terrible and you know they are overloaded. The Ford specs are very conservative, but when it comes to road safety, it has to be. Right now, I pull my 28 foot travel trailer which is a JayFeather and made to be pulled with half ton truck/SUV with my 99 expedition and while it pulls OK, the short wheelbase sucks and I'm within all the specs by Ford.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Buck...it never ceases to amaze me..the sales guy at the dealer will tell you what you want to hear, the sales guy selling the RV will tell you what you want to hear....crap on a cracker..wonder if they will admit to that when being cross examined in court after some sort of sh*tacane accident.
As I scan all this stuff, I read a lot of it...and we are talking 200hp engines with 350lbs of torque and brakes with no ABS etc.....I think back when I was a kid and remember 28' trailers being towed up a 8% grade with no passing lane....there was a mile of traffic behind it, the old man was pissed...we were doing 25mph.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Salesman do that all the time and most people don't do any research on exactly what they can pull. They rely on dealers to set them up. For me, the info provided gives me an idea on what I should be looking at to try and stay close to Specs.

Total weight 10,000 lbs

Stopping power= Almost non-existent on brakes alone

Any heavy towing requires the " I'm Towing Something" mentality

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Total weight 10,000 lbs

Stopping power= Almost non-existent on brakes alone

Any heavy towing requires the " I'm Towing Something" mentality

Agreed. I am considering the rear disc brake conversion on the old girl too. Not that it would make a huge difference, but would help some I would think.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts