Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

opinions

martin0605

I bleed BLUE!!!
Hey guys,
I want everyones .02 on this idea. I used to have a 97 250 CC 7.3 Power Stroke and had to let it go when I got laid off.smiliecrybaby .
So since I have two trucks of the same generation,and I can't buy anything right now, I was wondering of taking a making a CC out of them?
It would have 2 full sized doors of course, extending the 4x4 frame with the other frame,and tying it all together with the two cabs.
I know it would be eaiser to but a CC,but it would be more of a Mega Cab. I have all the parts to make it work,but I just want your opinions. Good or bad,I'll take all into consideration. Thanks
Mike

P.S. One is a78 SB 4x4 150 and the other is 75 LB 2wd. All reg cabs.

This is just an idea I had running through my head,nothing serious at this time.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you've got the vehicles,time and tools, why not?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The first thing that comes to mind is that I think have seen, somewhere, pictures pf an old Ford custom crew-cab, that was built with four "front" doors. I'll see if I can find the pics, but no promises.

EDIT: That was easier than I thought- here's the thread

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I say go for it...if you have the know how to do it, there should be no hang ups. Brake lines, wiring and a drive shaft should be the only above and beyond costs to get lengthened.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... cool project, but i feel bad for chopping up two good cabs.[confused]

martin0605

I bleed BLUE!!!
Well the 75 cab is not in good shape. The front floor is rusted out and the firewall is seperating. The 78 is solid and no rust. So cut the middle out of the 75 and add it to the 78 along with the frame extension. Maybe?
Like I said just an idea.

martin0605

I bleed BLUE!!!
Well this idea got scrapped!! Tha ole lady said HELL NO!!= no money to spend.
Anyway,my 351m is to radical for everyday,it was built for mud bogs. So since I want to drive it alot, I do have a 300I6 to put in it,but along with a 4 speed. My brothe-in-law had one and that damn thing would go just about any where!!!! It as a granny low though. I just want a reg 4 speed. I am looking a t-18 or 19? I have all the stuff to swap to a 4 from an auto other than the tranny. Which would you guys recommend and where would I find one for a 4x4?
iplan on a full resto-mod rebuild for this truck. Iguess I could use this as my build thread,huh?
Any way I 'll try to get pics this weekend.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I think the t-18 and t-19 are both granny trannies. The difference is slightly different ratios and the18 has reverse up and to the left, the 19 has reverse down and to the right. Someone jump in here if I'm wrong.

Personally, I like the granny gear. It comes in handy for pulling.

Don't remember wether it was the 18 or 19 but, I had a Scout with what was called a close-ratio. There where 2 one with the granny (wide-ratio) and one that was mre like a regular 4 spd (close-ratio)

Granny Gear is term used to describe Low Gear..nothing more.

The term was coined from someone following a grandmother who always seemed to drive 5 mph wherever she went

OK I was refering to the trannies that had the real low first and the other had a more usable first gear. Thinking the lower was something in 6:1 range and the other was 4:1 range don't remember exact ratios but that is close. We always refered to the super low first gear 4 speeds in trucks as Granny Trannies as oposed to the 4 speeds in cars.

I know how it gets twisted around.

I was expressing the original meaning of the word Granny.

You see, some if not most vehicles can start in 2 nd gear.

on the farm years ago,picking up grain on the fly (with the truck next to the combine while moving) the normal gear for this was granny gear.aka: 1st gear.

After transmissions evolved people adopted the term for a different ratio.. but the term still means the Lowest Gear.

Ford Truck Articles