Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Howdy, obligatory intro post. . .

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Surging can be multiple things. Best bet would be to pull codes first. Or while you are waiting for the code scanner start with basics.

Check your air filter. Swap out the fuel filter. Check spark plugs. Post pics if you are unsure of their usefulness. It's cheap to check things. But make sure you do your spark plugs 1 at a time to make sure you don't get the plug wires back on the wrong plug.

Fresh gas will help and check the oil for sure. My 302 runs like a dog towards oil change time. No idea why. It loves that fresh stuff.

While your at it check fluids front to back. A quart of oil is cheaper than a differential or a transfer case.

I would also check the front steering and suspension for loose parts. Those ttb front ends are notorious for chewing through tie rod ends if they are a little out of whack

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Ps, that's the same code scanner i use. Works good

Thanks man!

It would help so much just to know what I am looking at. I think some tools will be a start. :) Sounds funny, but I am surmising that well begun is half done. It seems to me that buying some tools that might be needed is the proper start. I only have shit for gunsmithing, small files, punches, etc. (With, of course, a certain gathering of sockets, a few ratchets, and pleny of screwdriver bits, a small drill press, two vices, and an ANVIL. My favorite tool next too duct tape is the HAMMER I have several.) :) :) :)

Here's a video of me. :) You think that guy can pull this off?

(I took the grips off of the BFR in 500 S&W Magnum, to show them that it could be done):

Last edited:
So,

Fram G3802A Fuel filter
Fram CA6366
Innova 3145 Code Reader
Synthetic 5W 30
(I have PS, PB, and Transmission fluid)
I reckon I should buy the other full 'tune up kit'.

For a quick run through.

The 5.4 Triton in the Grey Ghost 4x4 is, to me, a powerhouse. I think the guy that had it before me beefed it up or could be that I have forgotten what a V8 is? The Triton sounds like a beast and will rock even with those big tires. It has K&N cold air intake deal and some sort of upgraded exhaust system. One of those Optima batteries as well. . . Hopefully we can upgrade this over time. I entertain no delusions, I want a strong swamp machine, I do not care too much about the body.

Bought:

MicroGard Fuel filter
Fram CA6366 Air Filter
Spark Plug Socket Set, 5/8", 13/16"
Spark Plug Gap Checker
8mm DEEP socket I needed an 8mm socket for the valance I'm trying to put on the GRAY GHOST. Trying to get those bolts out without taking the bumper off is a pain in the $$$ when you have paws for hands. Hell, the fog light holes have to be trimmed to get them to fit. I can't pay $150 for the right one, I got this one for OTD at the 40 acre junk yard. Going to have to try a hacksaw. :)

Also:

Well, my son buried the Bronco in the yard this morning. He was scared and called me thinking he was in trouble. I told him no worries. I did not even fool around, I pulled in neutral and 4L, locked the hubs in and boys, the old gal still has some $$$. I pulled it down into drive and I swear I heard it growl! :) I went ahead and tore up the yard a bit because I so enjoy hearing the ole lady $$$$$. I feel like a kid, I'm STOKED.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks man!

It would help so much just to know what I am looking at. I think some tools will be a start. :) Sounds funny, but I am surmising that well begun is half done. It seems to me that buying some tools that might be needed is the proper start. I only have FTF for gunsmithing, small files, punches, etc. (With, of course, a certain gathering of sockets, a few ratchets, and pleny of screwdriver bits, a small drill press, two vices, and an ANVIL. My favorite tool next too duct tape is the HAMMER I have several.) :) :) :)

Here's a video of me. :) You think that guy can pull this off?

(I took the grips off of the BFR in 500 S&W Magnum, to show them that it could be done):

Quite the kick on that bad boy!

Quite the kick on that bad boy!

:) 465 grain bullet at ~1700 fps. BFR only loading, my friend! Cheers!

The Warn winch works like a champ. My son BURIED it in the yard today. I 'thowed' it in 4WD it powered out like a champ. The GRAY GHOST is a big SOB but this BEATER is cool! If only I could get the takeoff lined out.

"You pull out of wherever and push down the gas peddle, it begins and then immediately bogs, you keep pushing and it's like it catches up and surges, then bogs, then it picks up again, bogs and then it steadily gains speed all the up to wherever and rolls along fine as frog's hair. I continually accelerated to 67 today but let off because of rain. It acted as if it would steadily continue on though. Turned around, same thing but this time i kept it around 60 and it had no issues. So it is at takeoff, only."

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts