Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trying to get a tranny that will be cheap and work for drag/street truck

so I just got an account started I am trying to turn a 72 f-250 xlt camperspecial into a half $$$ drag truck. i would like to find a five speed tranny, I thought about an older mustang tranny but that probably wouldn't handle a 3/4 ton does anybody know if theres a conversion kit that will work if I use a 90's f250 tranny

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
A 90s f250 trans... The 4spd automatic? There are kits... They are expensive ($500+) because it is electronically controlled. Also it will not bolt up to a 390.

428 heads should fit a 390 just fine, but you may not be gaining anything depending on what heads they are.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You combined two things that don't jive, cheap and drag truck...

FE, your only real option is a C6 for cheap. You're light in the back end so it's probably going to axle hop so you'll need traction aids of some sort.

Just about every FE part will interchange within reason. Avoid FT parts though, they're truck (F-500/up) engines and they differ from their little siblings.

Is the engine original to the truck? Reason I ask is you could quite possibly have a 360 as they were most common in the 3/4 ton trucks.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you were going to play around with 1990's technology, it's tempting to swap over your engine as well. I'm not an FE hater, but if you were thinking about a 1990's 5 speed, you may as well mate it up to a 1990's 351 or 460 or something. You could meet somewhere in the middle and get a 1990's transmission and maybe mate it up to one of the last made carburated engines so there isn't as much converting going on.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
The bell on 289, 302, and 351W were common all the way. 351M, 400 and 460 share the same bell, some mods are needed of a sort to work on a ZF, but it can and has been done.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
The bell on 289, 302, and 351W were common all the way. 351M, 400 and 460 share the same bell, some mods are needed of a sort to work on a ZF, but it can and has been done.

That's right, I forgot about the boat anchors being the same bell housing as the 385 series...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts