Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1975 F100 Fuel Tank Replacement

Ahoy all,

First big project vehicle since my silly old '90 Ranger XLT. Miss the poor guy.

Dropping the old rust bucket fuel tank off the truck. Working on a budget, no lift or anything, haven't removed the bed or anything like that. Just hoping to drop it down and replace it so I can move on to brake lines.

Having an issue dismounting it. I cut the rusted bolts holding it to the chassis but can't lower the tank enough to undo the sensors and the fuel lines. Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

DustyTrails

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They get "hung up" in the frame
You have to take a pry bar, and ease it over to the side a bit, and get the lip below the frame to get it started. work on the side oppisit of the fill

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I agree with dusty...and you also should lossen the filler tube at the neck and tank and carefully slide it out....once the tank drops down a bit.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I dropped both of mine ('78) and had quite a time getting the back one out, but if I held my mouth just right, it would come out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I dropped both of mine ('78) and had quite a time getting the back one out, but if I held my mouth just right, it would come out.

I, Ummmmmmm

Nvrrrr mind.............:wasntme:

Appreciated

Thank you all for your suggestions. As soon as the wind and rain die around here I'll take another crack at the old boy and see what happens.

As long as I don't think it'll be easy it shouldn't be that hard.

Regards,
DustyTrails

Ford Truck Articles