Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Storing my truck..

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I have some q's for you guys that're kicking around in my head.

I'm going to have to continue storing my truck until I'm done school and get my own place with room to work on it. Thing is, it looks like I'm going to have to store it in the (back)yard. On grass.

Is it really that much worse to store a vehicle on grass than on pavement? I've always thought that there's alot more moisture present, therefore increasing the amount of rust that comes along. Yes, no?

Anything I can put down to prevent/slow this process? gravel.. etc.?

Or should I just say screw it and spend the money I can't really afford to spend and put it into a storage unit or something?

Pros/cons? I guess..

Thanks guys.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well i could see the moisture being a problem, but that area of grass will soon die out due to no sun...
how long do you think you will have it stored?
Heck pulling it out once a month or so to fiddle with it would probably be a good thing....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Eh its only a year...
Does it run?
If so i would start it up and move it everyonce in awhile, drive it around the block or something...
Maybe once a month or so...
Let it get up to operating temps....

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Oh yea, she runs. I didn't start it for over a year, put in a new battery and it fired right up. Not the greatest for it, but I forsee quite a bit of new things in it's future.

Grass, dirt gravel. dosn't matter. The moisture coming out of the ground does.
Covering a vehicle that's over the above makes it the worst thing you can do.
Building codes today requires moisture barriers between ground and living spaces for the same reason.
Concrete driveways are good. concrete driveways with moisture barrier are better.
Carports with concrte and moisture barriers are better
See where I'm going with this yet.
Garage with moisture barrier and climate control...Excelent

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Slightly off topic, but you should add some stabil to the gas to keep it from varnishing up the fuel pumps.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I would run it and let it get into the system. The fuel could varnish up injectors and everything.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
heres an idea....drive it on top of a large tarp then fold the tarp up and over the truck and have another tarp over the truck. that way the truck is completely wrapped and would be better then having it sit on the grass directly...cheap and easy

emtzach

i get paid to do this
if you doo the tarp thing make sure you through like ten bokes worth of moth balls everywhere so the damn little critters stey the hell away from the inside of the truck

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
the tarp thing is a good idea...or you could send it to Florida...I don't know how much storage is up there but around me it's only like 35 bucks a month and you shove it in a unit with a door....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts