Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

have many ? on 6.9 idi thanks

ive got some ? well ok lots of ? first this truck has seen some pretty brutal mechanics in its day apparently "wow" .
First ? radiator looks to be a brand new rad , no fan shroud rads not bolted in held in with bungee cords and some welded brackets on the frame was wondering if anyone could get me some pics to see if and how to bolt this rad up to the support .

second ? none of the gauges seem to be working i checked the fuses all is ok there is there a known problem with the cluster ?

third ? cruise control is not working im assuming since the resevoir can has a whole the size of my fist this is the reason its not working

now for my last ? "for now" the exhaust is falling of that someone has rigged on there . to get rid of the stacks that another person had put on which is still in the bed of the truck is there any reason performance or other wise that i shouldnt just reinstall the stacks

thanks for any help ken

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What year pickup do you have? I saw you posted in the Gen 8-9 area, but was wondering a little more about it.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Factory issue 6.9's ended in 87... so by guessing, it would be that or before.

I'll have to see about getting some rad pics for you, I have both style rad's available. One is a monster that takes up fenderwell to fender well, that is the non air version. The factory air version is deeper, goes down between the frame rails, but isn't as wide as the other style.

Gauges are another story, hard to say right off what the problem is. there is I think one fuse that will take care of them. The voltage regulators are known for trouble. It is possible it has a bad ground, or bad printed circuit.

Cruise is another bad point on these as well. 86 and older had clock spring troubles, may be the same on the 87's. The hole in the vacuum reservoir doesn't help matters any...

On the stacks, there isn't any real reason that you can't put the stacks back. For my needs, I don't have nor want, but if you want them, that is purely your choice. I would put turn out tips just for the aspect of liquid getting down the pipes. These motors love bigger pipes, the factory sized exhaust is a joke. 3" minimum for single pipe exhaust works well.

Fellro

Staff member
well, the rad looks large anyway, but do you have factory air?

no ac i think i figured it out it just bolts straight to the rad support with 4 bolts correct . im gonna need a fan shroud anyone got one layin around ? ive got some mandrel bent pipes i was gonna make a new ypipe or should i do duels

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
There are two brackets, one each side, 4 bolts each. I'm not sure if a fan shroud from an a/c truck will work, I'll have to take a look. Don't worry too much about the shroud though, these trucks normally don't run too hot anyway.

I redid my y to flow a little better, then put a 3.25 pipe at the union, and that really helped. Duals do work pretty good too, it's all in what you want and how you want to do it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts