Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 idi question

I am thinking of swaping my 93 5.8 c6 for an 92 7.3 idi 4eaod are these good engines do the pull harder than the 7.5 gas dose any one know the tourque # and finally would the amount of work to do the swap be worth it I was trying to find the 94.5 and up 7.3 pws turbo but this idi i can get cheap thanx

Fellro

Staff member
Well, it would be a bit of work to get that heavy motor to sit where the W was. The frame is a bit different, but it can be done. You would need to upgrade your front springs at a minimum, get the plates and mounts for the frame, remove your mount towers. You also would need either a different rad support for the narrower but deeper radiator that is more common, or find one of the extra wide ones that came on non factory air trucks. They will pull good, but not necessarily fast. They can pull a house, but just not set any speed records doing it. I don't have the actual numbers, but there are some things that can be done to make them pull a bit better. I really like my 6.9 NA which is the predecessor to the 7.3 IDI.

The idi's a great motors, not huge on power but they do last and give good fuel mileage. A 460 will pull as well as the diesel, it'll just eat more fuel. If power and fuel economy is your goal, go with a cummins conversion, there's not much out there that can compete with one.

Ford Truck Articles