Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Advice f350 drw front brakes

What are typical problems with these old bullnose for the front calipers to drag and get excessively hot?

I just did calipers and pads last night because they were sticking so bad the truck would come to a stop when you pushed in the clutch or coasted in neutral. It's still dragging and getting very hot but not causing it to slow down like it was.

Also, this is the new tow pig since my 2wd short bed isn't much of a work truck.

Attachments

• 20191027_172942-1209x1612.jpg
  • 20191031_003227-1209x1612.jpg

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Nice truck. I've seen it happen when the master cylinder wasn't returning all the way. Either because the rod from the pedal to the booster was too long, the link from the booster to the master was too long, or the piston was sticking in the bore.

Loosen the nuts holding the master to the booster an 1/8 of an inch or so, and see if it frees up.

Not the only possible problem, but where I'd start if it was mine. Good luck!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

The master was recently changed because they noticed the pedal being weird which was due to the entire pad being gone with just a metal plate left so the master could easily be a possibly.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Nice truck, and what Blue said. I've also had the rubber brake lines swell, or shrink on the inside not allowing the fluid to return from the caliper to relieve the brake pressure.

Fellro

Staff member
Brake hose is my first suspect in such cases. The inner lining will break down, then start to break loose. It then allows the fluid to pass, then shuts the door and won't let it return.

The only thing with it being a rubber line is both calipers drag and get just as hot. Last time this happened was on a jeep and both calipers had seized from sitting. Swapped those and never had the issue again. I bought brake lines last night as well as enough fluid to flush the system.

Is there anyway the metering valve in the prop valve could cause this issue?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is no metering valve. That is an abs modal for the rear brakes.
Front brakes come from the master, right to the calipers on these trucks.

My 90 f 250 had the big can booster on it, it went bad 2 times, holding the brakes on so hard it caught fire second time.
It was somehow leaking vacuum back into the master cylinder, putting pressure aginst it from the back side.
I put the smaller booster on, never had another problem

Truck still stops great.

The exploded view for the prop valve for this truck shows a metering valve inside the prop valve... the valve was listed for 80-86 trucks and looks the same as the one in mine.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
As a rule they never go bad. The job is to center if a line leaks to keep from losing all your fluid.
I was mistaken. From The picture it looks like your front end is from a 92-97 f 350
When bleeding the brakes you need to pull the plunger back to center, and hold it there with vice grips while bleeding, or you won't be able to properly get the air out of the system

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The engine and everything is out of a 92, front clip was swapped at the same time. It's an 85 though

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ah. Gotcha.

The adjustable rod on the booster was screwed out almost an 1/8" too far. I don't know who did it but it was done awhile ago. No more dragging or heat, drives much better. Now to get new tires and a windshield

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad you found it, and thanks for letting us know the cure

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
What he said! Suspense gets to me. Glad it was something simple!!!

That's an interesting truck, it's an 85 with a 93? Front clip? Still factory inside?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
What he said! Suspense gets to me. Glad it was something simple!!!

That's an interesting truck, it's an 85 with a 93? Front clip? Still factory inside?

Took a little injnuity to put the clip on. Especially the bottoms of the fenders by the doors. Good job!

Not sure what year the clip actually is. I wasn't the builder. Just got it as a project tow rig. 92 7.3 first gen banks turbo with upgraded exhaust housing, modified injection pump and injectors. 5 speed out of the 92 as well.

85 interior and doors with chevy tow mirrors. Still has the 85 dually flares as well. Need to swap them

Ford Truck Articles