Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Got started on my 6.0's disasembly today... little annoyed too because it was nice all week while i was stuck inside while it was pretty nice weather outside.. and today its in the 80's feeling like 90's...

IMG-20150515-01023_zpsykx2wbv7.jpg

got the truck up next to the house yesterday while the parents were out...

Started out today getting the old carport down... then got my detailing tent up so i could work in the shade...

IMG-20150516-01028_zpsearg4dna.jpg

IMG-20150516-01029_zpsj3iedmzd.jpg

batteries out.. as well as the intake...

IMG-20150516-01031_zps3kqpg5t7.jpg

lots of room there on the driver side...

IMG-20150516-01035_zpssnwelrzi.jpg

not so much the passenger side though...

IMG-20150516-01036_zpsbzrtb4gx.jpg

did discover apparently the Ficms been replaced twice... as when the first owner had it and had the ficm replaced while they had it was prior to 2008 when they traded it in... so if that was remanned in 2010... that means the 2nd owner replaced it at most 2 yrs before i got it.. cant say for certain as sometimes products do sit on shelfs for awhile..

IMG-20150516-01040_zpsoybbuduq.jpg

little concerned about this corner of the ficm though... was the lower side in the back by the firewall... hoping that doesnt mean something inside exploded and tried to leak out... but when i tested the ficm i was in the norm range...

IMG-20150516-01043_zps3rqhqdm0.jpg

surprised to see my EGR valve only had dry ashy soot on it... was sorta hoping to just find it wet again like it was when i cleaned it off a year ago... but guess that means my EGR coolers not bad...

IMG-20150516-01045_zps4fqky214.jpg

bye bye turbo...

IMG-20150516-01049_zps3xonsday.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
slowly working on it.. hoping to get the heads off today...

slowly working on it.. hoping to get the heads off today...

Never seen a 6.0 in the flesh yet Shawn ..... the engineers really shoehorned that one in there didn't they. They are still up there price wise here so it will take time before we see one in our neck of the woods - $75k http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/auction-884590229.htm

For reference, theres a step by step in the 6.0 section (just don't pay attention to the cab pulling parts.) http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24873

Just as an aside Vince what would a job like that cost at your shop ? and how long do you reckon it would take to do the job for the first time? - reason i'm asking is that we are bound to see one of these at some stage down the road (probably when they are completely worn out :):) )

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the intake off, egr cooler out. fuel and oil filter housing off, valve covers, rockers (all but 1) off, pushrods out.. ended up having to pull the pass side inner fender off.. might do the same with the driver side one.. and now i gotta take the oil pan off... :headbang: stupid 3" torx bits now sitting in the bottom of it.. :headbang:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
What are you tearing it down for? Looks like a lot of work

head gaskets went "pop" and pissing the coolant out the back of the

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Never seen a 6.0 in the flesh yet Shawn ..... the engineers really shoehorned that one in there didn't they.

come on by ill let ya see it and put it back together... lol i need a stronger impact gun... mine did nothing on those head bolts except for 2 of them...

also found most my intake bolts were loose as heck.. and apparently one of the previous techs that worked on the truck snapped a valve cover bolt off in it.. not i get the fun of fishing that out...

Just as an aside Vince what would a job like that cost at your shop ? and how long do you reckon it would take to do the job for the first time? - reason i'm asking is that we are bound to see one of these at some stage down the road (probably when they are completely worn out :):) )

the one time if i remember right he told me was a minimum 5K.. ive heard of others paying upwards of 10K for full rebuilds...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Anyone that gives you a definite price before starting isn't worth the title of Mechanic. How can you put a price on it until you tear it apart, you don't know what's worn out?

Are you sure its not the intake leaking fluid?
Some GM engines were notorious on their plastic intakes...
Ouch on the truck,its a good thing you got the stang going!...smilieFordlogo

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Are you sure its not the intake leaking fluid?
Some GM engines were notorious on their plastic intakes...
Ouch on the truck,its a good thing you got the stang going!...smilieFordlogo

well for one my f350 isnt a GM... (plus the 4.6L in the GT's arent immune to the plastic intakes cracking either)... and yup pretty sure its the head gaskets from the trails leading down from them at the back...

yeah but the stang ate through half the trucks budget...

Anyone that gives you a definite price before starting isn't worth the title of Mechanic. How can you put a price on it until you tear it apart, you don't know what's worn out?

The trouble is out here Vince unless you give a quote (typical allowance of 10- 20% built in ) you won't get any work or worse you wind up in dispute tribunal over the cost - i tend to break it down into stages by telling the customer that doing a head gasket will be "x" amount in labour "x" amount in parts if nothing else is wrong. Then i will let them know the (in the case of a head gasket issue) worst case scenario cost if the head needs replacing/rebuilding and that we will contact the customer if anything else is found during the teardown.

How long do you think it took to teardown that 6.0 to the heads off stage in your thread Vince? More curiosity than anything else as i've never even seen one of these much less worked on one - most of my work is on older vehicle's particularly Japanese 4 cyl diesel's such as pathfinder/hilux/isuzu etc .....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i dont think ill be working on mine today... sore as heck after the weekend..

Vince can you tell me if the oil pan is just RTV'd or if they actually had real seals on them.. and if it was the gaskets are they reusable like the transmission one is? and is the ball tubes in the oil rail supposed to move at all?? Had some people say yes others say no... when i checked mine after pulling the rail i was able to move them around. some easily others not so much.

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Had a feeling you were going to say that...

What about the ball tubes for the injectors? They supposed to move at all?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
So guessing the stiffer ones are the good ones.. Where the looser ones that moved freely ill have to service then...

Ford Truck Articles