Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Posting on the "other side"

blacksnapon

Staff member
About the only time I post over there is when something comes into my bay that just reeks of total hogwash. I'll go there in an attempt to straighten out the bad information or crazy repair techniques. Today, I get an 06 F450 with a 6.0 that just barely runs (it was towed in). I do diagnostics and its got contribution and circuit codes for every cylinder, plus a po611 (ficm performance). Pretty much cut and dry needing a ficm. I work up an estimate for a complete ficm and one for a half shell. Customer calls and tells me he's confident its not a ficm. Asks if I'd done a voltage test (that one is pretty much exclusive to the other side), then tells me that its injectors that are the issue. I asked him "So you want me to replace the injectors?". His response, "Fords injectors are junk, I wouldn't but them from you anyway!". I told him, his truck would be outside, I'm done with it, he needs to take it somewhere else.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Good for you ! Why wasn't he repairing it himself if he knows so much about them ?
He's going to now! There were missing bolts, wrong bolts for the application, and just a real hack job. Supposedly, he had someone "Rebuild" his ficm allready. I told him "You need another one". The technique he was talking about involves removing a cover from the ficm, then measuring voltage with the key on. Good technique for the homeowner or indie garage. Problem is, its easy to short out the ficm with your voltmeter, then we would be responsible for damages. Why do the test when you dont have to?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
That's the bad thing about the other side.There's so many people over there,and very little knowledge.Definitely lots of folks that think they know everything,but in reality don't.

You did the right thing.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Wow some people are just dumb.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That's great. I'd tell him to check his blinker fluid while he's in there.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That kinda crap ticks me off. You send it to a dealership to have it worked on by highly trained mechanics. Then, you tell them how to do their job because A) you're too lazy to or B) you think Google doesn't show bad info. If you squeak when you walk then you shouldn't own something that new that is going to cost you (in some cases) a hefty sum. this guy obviously needs to purchase something 10 years older than what he has. At least then, if he stumbles upon a site that knows their *** from a hole in the wall, the probability of him fixing it himself (assuming he is mechanically inclined) goes up greatly. What a dumbass. I agree 100 percent about your choice to deal with him. Let him frig it up even more so he HAS to take it back to you.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
When I need info on any Ford that I own this is where i come. I go to other diesel and offroad sites just to see what people are building. When i need to fix something I come here.

Thanks guys for all of the correct info.

Ford Truck Articles