Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

You guys can try one (its in my bay now)

blacksnapon

Staff member
More info......The pats code has a SSM tied in with it. If a pcm or an instrument cluster is replaced or both, there must be a perameter reset performed or this code is set in the pcm. Cant do a perameter reset because the instrument cluster wont communicate with the IDS. Neither component had been replaced. All connectors are clean and tight. You now have enough information to "cure" it.

Hmm... I'm taking it IPC has all the powers and grounds as well as the data lines intact but no communication with the IPC... Possible the IPC has an issue and is bad. I admit I don't fully know how the PATS works on a ford vehicle (use to the pass-lock systems on GM vehicles but I know the PATS system uses a chiped key that the computer needs to "sense" is near the steering column (I think.)

You said the van has no brake lights and there is a pats code stored in the ecm even though the van isn't suppose to have a pats system. Possible a wiring harness has rubbed through somewhere taking away/inducing voltage where it's not suppose to be? If I'm anywhere close let me know and I'll keep taking a stab at it.

racsan

4xford
possibly a brake controller hooked up wrong? this new stuff really makes one think, lots of things can cause issues you wouldnt think were related. i had a bad multi-function switch (turn signal lever & stuff) in a taurus cause some weird problems. could this be one of those "disconnect the battery" for awhile and it resets itself?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
OK, so what's the outcome on this one?

blacksnapon

Staff member
OK, so what's the outcome on this one?
there were two circuits that shut down in the instrument cluster. One that powers it up, and one that communicates with all the other modules. No communication with the pcm causes a p1260 (pats code) and the pcm disables the engine. The fix was to replace the cluster and perform the perameter reset.

blacksnapon

Staff member
how do you replace the cluster without upsetting the mileage reading?
Some vehicles, the mileage reading is ingrained into several modules that all talk to each other.Others, you have to do an "inhale, exhale" procedure. In other words, download information off the original module, install the replacement, then upload to it. This one had to have the mileage put in by the rebuilder.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
So what it looks like is Ford has done is they've come up with a way to combat odometer fraud in vehicles equipped with digital odometers.

-----------------------

This one had to have the mileage put in by the rebuilder.

New gauge cluster or odometer on an 08?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts