Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ujoint Dana 60 Front Axle

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Venturing into an attempt of changing out the driver side U-joint on my front axle... was hoping maybe someone here has done it one the 1st gen SD and might have some words of wisdom before i attempt it...

have already heard the knuckle seal can be a PITA without a special tool.. so i have that on order already... (coming from montana yay..).. only down side is ive heard you need a tool to attach to a slide hammer for removing the axle.. I can find it but everywhere lists it as discontinued... any good ideas to help with removing the axle could help too...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
just an fyi

the problem this guy is showing in his video is what ive been experiencing in mine.. while id expect it when being turned hard over like his is.. i cant even make a slight turn without it jumping like it does when they sped it up the tire revolutions... and when i say slight turn i mean ill barely get the steering wheel turned 1/4 turn before it jumps in my hands..

when the dealership changed the passenger side ujoint the problem went away partially for a short time but came back greater and greater over the next couple times i had to use it.. problem only shows up when everything is fully locked in.. everything unlocked no problems... hubs locked but trasnfer case still in 2wd still its softer but still there... itll kick in slightly harder turn then but youll hear a hum like whine going straight down the road...

i had tried talking the dealer into doing both ujoints when they did the first.. even offered to pay for it myself since the warranty people wouldnt but they still wouldnt do it.. so thats why im going to do the driver side one myself now that the problems gotten worse... hoping since it abated when they did the passenger side itll go away with the driver side.. if not i know ill have to look at the carrier.. and thats not something ill look forward to..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Subscribed

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
hoping maybe vince will chime in with some dealer tricks... but i know hes still recovering so wont be upset if he doesnt...

blacksnapon

Staff member
there isn't even a procedure for doing one in the workshop manual. I guess they figure its just common knowledge. as far as the removal of the "spindle" I just rely on penetrating oil and a bfh.beat it side to side, then when an opening shows, jam a screwdriver or chisel in there and "persuade" it to separate order both of the large seals between the u-joint and the axle end. You're going to destroy them getting them out. I use a large punch from the inside to drive out the seals (it aint easy). theres a special tool to put the seal back on the axle and set them at the correct depth inside the knuckle.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Vince is spot on, except he forgot to mention there are cuss words that need to come out. Lots of them.
When you are totally frustrated, it will fall off and land on your foot

Put everything back together with lots of neversieze
Change the ball joints now if they need it......

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
there isn't even a procedure for doing one in the workshop manual. I guess they figure its just common knowledge. as far as the removal of the "spindle" I just rely on penetrating oil and a bfh.beat it side to side, then when an opening shows, jam a screwdriver or chisel in there and "persuade" it to separate order both of the large seals between the u-joint and the axle end. You're going to destroy them getting them out. I use a large punch from the inside to drive out the seals (it aint easy). theres a special tool to put the seal back on the axle and set them at the correct depth inside the knuckle.

that tools on order from Montana with the seal...

Vince is spot on, except he forgot to mention there are cuss words that need to come out. Lots of them.
When you are totally frustrated, it will fall off and land on your foot

Put everything back together with lots of neversieze
Change the ball joints now if they need it......

ball joints look good... it was just inspected they said there was no play in them at all.. even trying to wobble the tire the only movement i can get is left to right but thats the flex where the steering linkage is at..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
How many miles on it Shawn?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
147K duncan... someone prior to me getting the truck replaced the ball joints cuz they say Moog on the boots...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks.

Mine had the seals done a few years back, but the u-joints are original...no clunking so far.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mines not so much a clunking... more like the drive train pulling back on the steering wheel to keep it going straight...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
in the video that guy took if you watch the steering arm that the tie rods connected to you can see it jumping back and forth.. like the axles binding and not wanting to turn.. his is turned hard over though so i would expect it then... mines doing it even when im trying to make a slight turn..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah I watched it...no volume though, I just assumed the u-joints were binding.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i think the driver side one on mines bad... pass side they just replace a yr or so ago.. "rust was coming out from the caps"

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hmmm....rust out the caps might be a issue...:rofl:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
welp i ran into an issue today... in the process of getting the old ujoint out.. they were so stuck in there that it literally bend the lobes on the shaft before they freed... any suggestions on getting them back out to the proper spec?? my oxy welders not big enough to heat them properly to try spreading it that way... so need some other suggestions from you bigger gurus...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I did that to my quad...bought a duckbill for the portapower and opened it up with that.

If you heat them you might affect the strength

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
duck bill?? porta power??

Ford Truck Articles