Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aftermarket/ Performance wires and coils

So what is everybody's thoughts on them? I'm thinking about getting a set for my truck. I've been reading up on them and it's a love/ hate thing some people swear by them and others say you can do no better than O.E..

I'll post my thoughts after a couple of replies...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm only going to change it if you're burning more air and fuel from stock. That would be increased displacement, increased air flow, so therefore some modifications. I wouldn't throw it on a stock truck in an attempt to hunt down an extra 3-4 horsepower.

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
the only issue ive had with aftermarket is everytime weve tried using those echo plugs... like the E3's and things like that... performance ones ive never had issues with...

The s10 i put in an ACCEL performance coil, plugs and wires on.. never had an issue after i did that...

My mustang i though i had a bad coil.. turned out the exhaust manifold burned a hole through 3 of the plug wires insulation and grounded against it. i Upgraded it to MSD Screamin Demon coil, MSD wires and Champion Iridium plugs... she picked up a little more pep than she had even when she was new... Havent had any issues with them either...

I'm not expecting to hunt down that extra little bit of hp, (but every little bit helps) but I do expect a smother idle along with a little more mpg..

On the whole I think Ford did a pretty good job, but the "been counters" probably got in the way of the engineers leaving some "meat" on the table.. jmo

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I'm not expecting to hunt down that extra little bit of hp, (but every little bit helps) but I do expect a smother idle along with a little more mpg..

On the whole I think Ford did a pretty good job, but the "bean counters" probably got in the way of the engineers leaving some "meat" on the table.. jmo

fixed it for ya... lol

yeah the one thing to keep in mind with aftermarket stuff.. if your going to do it.. you need to do it completely... to get the full value from the parts you need its associating parts.. the stock system is designed to work only as efficient as the parts it was paired with.. for example. aftermarket wires on a stock coil might only net you .5v more to the plugs.. the point of the aftermarket coils is for a higher output of voltage for a hotter/more intense spark. aftermarket wires are designed to conduct this higher voltage so that every bit of energy possible is delivered to the plugs.

Which the whole point of doing an ignition upgrade is to increase the efficiency of burning said fuel. unburnt fuel is wasted fuel as well as wasted power.. but like rattlecan said its not an upgrade worth doing if power is all your looking for... and unless your ignition systems really bad you wont see much in the way of mpg pick up either.. both are really insignificant without other modifications. seen a few lab tests that were testing emissions.. stock systems were said to be burning off 80-85% of the fuel that was injected into the engines.. where when they went to retest with aftermarket ignitions they were getting results of 90-93% of the total fuel burnt off. The articles didnt specify what model ignitions they were using and got technical of how they were making these determinations to the point it flew over my head. Im assuming they were testing the exhaust vapors for unburnt fuel vapors like the O2 sensors do.. but like i said the article for really technical when they got into that part and i sucked at science... lol

Lol thanks, and ya it would be all of the above; Pushing 120k on the stock stuff...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
thats not bad.. think dad got to 130K on his before he changed them lol.. He tried doing them E-3 plugs and ran into issues with them. everytime we try to do those eco plugs we get issues... thats why i went to performance instead... that and i like the idea of getting every bit of fuel burnt as possible lol.. Jezebel does better without holes in her plug wires insulation lol...

Ya on plugs I'll probably just run motorcrafts or autolights, I haven't seen a "performance" plug that jumps out at me..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i liked ACCEL i had in the s10 but they didnt have em for the stang.. so went with champions..

that and theyre
made_in_usa_1.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I've experimented with different plug brands over the years.

Every. Single. Non. Motorcraft. Part has given me a headache.

They have either lowered my fuel mileage, made the idle rough, or made it miss completely. I refuse to use anything but Motorcraft coppers, even with upgraded equipment.

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ive only had that issue with echo plugs and autolites... Had good luck with these Champions, the Accels i had on the s10. and AC delcos.. but AC's are a gm thing imo lol

Lol yep delcos for gm only..

I've used boshs (sp) before and didn't really have any issues with them but ya so far the only other one I'd be tempted to try is the e3's..

Like everything else it's a love / hate thing...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
e3's seem to be 50/50 on issues... some people get them never have problems.. everytime we've tried them we had issues... starts miss firing and back firing.. but we had only tried them in GM's.. had a friend try them in his mustang and had the same issues we did.. since then he went back to running bosch...

Ford Truck Articles