Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuse buddy?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
have yall ever heard of it. you plug the fuse into a box with two wires coming out of it. then that whole assembly plugs into your to you OEM fuse block .

i've seen them and used them.

it's like a cheater way to wire up a relay. it's the alternative to shoving a wire in next to a fuse. i used one to power a relay for my fog lights. used the fuse buddy on the interior AC/fan controls so the fog lights shut off with the key off.

Is that similar to the fuse box thing Chris is always raving about having added to his truck? Same thing but smaller?
i'm sure he'll be along to correct me, but i'm pretty sure his is different

it comes straight off the battery and has several spots to connect accessory wires and fuses. it's a far better way of going if you plan on hooking up multiple and/or high power accessories. can't find where he talks about it or a pic/link. ...just wait for the photo-master to come through shortly

Those are OK... but for running things like KC lights, light bars, Amps, etc., you are better off to run a properly guaged and protected wire from the battery service block and run it to a new, separate fuse block so that you aren't over-taxing the existing fuseblock.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Tom for high current draw accessories, one should always use a relay. And the current draw from the inductive circuit on a relay is negligible enough that you couldn't possible overload the fused circuit with a fuse tap.

When PROPERLY wired, the above fuse tap works great. But it's much easier/cleaner/safer to just use an aux fuse block like mine. I'll post pics when I get home.

Chris, you are correct. what I was describing was a seperate fuse block for the relay switches. and I must say that if you are not paying particular attention to the fuse you decide to TAP, you can indeed cause problems: Many are not able to handle twice the load where you could possibly create either a resistance or decreased voltage, due to the limitations of the supply wire. Furthermore, malfunctions of switches that have been "tapped" into existing circuits could indeed cause damage to other, more sensitive electronics.
I'm not saying they do not work; it's just not advisable.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i'm sure he'll be along to correct me, but i'm pretty sure his is different

it comes straight off the battery and has several spots to connect accessory wires and fuses. it's a far better way of going if you plan on hooking up multiple and/or high power accessories. can't find where he talks about it or a pic/link. ...just wait for the photo-master to come through shortly
Here's a picture of the auxiliary fuse block that I installed:

DSC01364.jpg

Yep...bought a couple different ones at Radio Shiiiiiiiiaaaack myself!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Got mine at Napa, super cheap. I think it was only 8 or 10 bucks. They had a larger one with like 16 slots but I don't need that many... yet... :D

Sheesh, Chris... you are gonna get to running so many relays, that thing is gonna wake up the neighbors just turning the key to the ON position!

CLICK!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts