Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electric Fan installation

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I am going to be installing the electric fan I bought on ebay sometime in the near future. I need a place to start concerning how to hook this baby up. Are there any relay kits with temperature sensors? I'm really not sure where to start.

I'm not sure what the budget is. I'm willing to spend a few bucks.

Basically, I don't want anything too fancy. I just want something that flips on and off at the proper times.

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Last edited:
Most of the suppliers do have kits you can buy to thermostatically control your engine fan; They consist of a thermo-couple style sensor that trips a relay to start the fan. Like you thermostat, you can buy them in different temperature ranges, and some even supply an override switch so you can turn it on from inside. Just gotta have a weather eye about who gives what for how much.
Obviously Whitney has em. as does summit, and I imagine our AutoAnything does too. Personally I just bought the large single fan and used the override function to make it kick on when the AC is engaged, as the "Double fan" style just didn't trip my trigger.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ryan what kind of fan are you using? If it's the Taurus fan you most likely won't be able to use a run-of-the-mill all-in-one type kit. Most of those kits come with 30-40amp relays and the high speed on the Taurus fan pulls more amps (its been proven). Guys were trying to run it on 30 or 40amp relays and it was blowing them left and right. Take your chances if you'd like but I went the safe route and made my own circuit with a 75amp relay for the high speed circuit.

If you need help make electrical circuits let me know, I'm quite the little wiz at wiring those fans up ;) And I've got a good computer program for drawing the diagrams. Good luck brother.

Fellro

Staff member
Really, it isn't hard to make a circuit, just run a fused circuit to the relay of choice, use a temp switch that grounds at a certain temp and above, and use it to ground the relay to trip it. For a/c, the same applies, disconnect the ground circuit to the relay to shut it off, connect to turn on, no problems with shorting, and easy to find a switch to activate the relay. Basically, full time power to the relay, part time ground.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Unfortunately Fellro, for the Taurus fan, making the circuit is not QUITE as easy as one might think. There are about 100 ways to make a SIMPLE circuit for this setup (assuming you want to use both speeds, a temp switch, and A/C-high speed override), but there's only a couple ways to make it if you want to keep from FRYING the circuits. The fan pulls A LOT of amps. I ended up having to use 3 relays: one 40amp to switch the low speed on and off, one 75amp to switch the high speed on and off, and one 40amp to switch BETWEEN aforementioned relays. Here's my the final diagram I used to build and install my final circuit in my truck, read it if you dare:

FinalCircuitLowspeed.jpg

Call that SIMPLE if you dare :D

Ford Truck Articles