Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Where to start...

Yeah, I agree, stay out of "vatozone" if at all possible. My local parts store is a carquest, which I'm not sold on either. But the guy who owns it has been running it for around 25 years, so he's pretty good at what he does. There is a comfort level in telling him what you want and he just goes back and grabs the parts, instead of looking them up. Of course he's a Ford guy, and he's got a dentside he's had since new. That also helps, lol.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I've dealt with Carquest a few times. They seem ok, but none are close enough to my house to make it worthwhile to go there. Lately I've been dealing with NAPA alot. I was used to dealing with Autozone and really got used to the prices and the aggravation those "good" prices brought with it. When I first got my tune-up parts from NAPA the price was a bit of a shock, but well worth it after seeing the quality.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
any parts store around here is full of idiots..... so i cant trust any of them... but Autozones quality ive never had a problem out of except their remanned alternators... my truck in the past 5 years, including previous owner has been through 6 of their alternators, but the Advanced Auto one i have on their now has been on their for a year now.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yeah my neighbor wouldn't listen to me about Autozone. He does now that it took him 5 hours to get home from Atlantic City because of a defective AZ part :D

I'm hearing this stuff more and more about autozone, been hearing it for the last couple of years on the classic bronco forums I hang out on. I'm surprised they are still in business with some of the things I've been hearing. Maybe they shouldn't be, maybe we should boycott them completely so they have to go out of business!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
all of their parts (excl. alternators) are really good quality IMHO...

:point2:

Buy an engine from them and let me know how you feel. The rear main seal leaked. They didn't do anything about it. They gave me a 1974 block with 1983 and newer heads. My headers wouldn't fit. I did force them to give me 2 free manifolds to fix that. I went through 5 batteries before getting one that has lasted more than a month. I had a two month old starter solenoid that wouldn't let the truck shut off. I did some work for a friend and he bought AZ parts. I would say a good 50% of the parts had to be replaced again within a month. My neighbor bought spark plug wires from AZ. One wire went bad within a month. He bought a fan relay because he wanted to save $20. He got stuck in Atlantic City and it took him 5 hours to get home because he had to rewire his cooling fan just to make it home. Should I go on? :rofl2:

Ford Truck Articles