Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time for move forward!!

That looks great. You should have painted the engine compartment while the engine was out. Much harder to do now that the newly painted engine is in there.

I can't tell from the pics, but are you running a generator? Those are relatively reliable, but there are some bugs sometimes. The PO seems to have gotten the bugs out of mine. I am running a relatively new battery that has high cranking amps. Mine is 12 Volt though. Yours is still 6 volt (from the battery). How old is your battery?

Why is your battery under the hood? Just curious.

How does it ride with those huge rear spring packs? Like a truck?

Maybe I will get to see it in person someday.

It runs pretty much the same. The clutch is definitely heavier but it seems to be loosening up with use.

Brian, I have a 6-volt alternator. I've debated for years if I should switch to 12-volt. The main reason holding me back is the alternator. The ride is pretty stiff but not bad unless the road is really bumpy. The battery is in the stock position. I don't know when Ford moved it to/from under the cab.

Hmm...I thought all the older ones were under the floor. Guess I learned something.

I know nothing about switching to 6 Volt. 56 was the first year ford used 12 Volt in the trucks.

Mine is stiff, but not too bad. I put poly liners in between the springs. That helped a lot. I need to buy good shocks at some point. The truck seat could use a little more padding though (I have plenty already-thank you very much!). :redface:

It is vinyl, over 1 layer of burlap, over the springs.

Brian, conversion to 12v is relatively easy. New battery, 12-volt gen or alt, new light bulbs, and resistors (I think) for the gauges. The starter may or may not be OK as is, depending on who you ask. This is of course assuming the rest of the electrical system is in good shape.

My (truck) seat sounds just like yours, except for the aftermarket seat cover on top.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts